Find the answer to your Linux question:
The modem is an internal winmodem via a mini-pci card installed in an IBM Thinkpad 390e. From researching, I think it is the Mars chipset, though I don't know for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mdk 10.1, ltmodem and Dialup

The modem is an internal winmodem via a mini-pci card installed in an IBM Thinkpad 390e. From researching, I think it is the Mars chipset, though I don't know for certain.

After a lot of searching, I found an ltmodem driver for my Mdk 10.1 distro with **matching uname** and full install instructions. The install worked a treat, to a (showstopping) point. Something is weird in the MMC configuration.

In MMC as root I confgured a new connection. The displayed Lucent Windmodem Microelectrics...blah selection that's there is no good (returns a "Not supported on this system" message) but I select the second option (that appeared after installing the new driver module) and "Manual". I select the /dev/modem port that has been setup by the module installation procedure.

Configuring it, I enter the dialup number (a local number) + isp username and password. The ISP uses PAP for authentication, so I select this.

I answer No to the various auto options then accept the offer to test the connection. Here's where it gets weird.

There is no speaker feedback so I pick up the phone. I hear normal-sounding dialtone and dialling, followed by the usual handshaking noise. However, the handshaking noise just goes on and on till eventually, I put the phone down to break the connection. MMC comes back and says the modem appears not to be connected.

Should I be looking for some AT codes? If yes, whereabouts should I put them? The connection wizard doesn't seem to anticipate such things.

Or should I try to get rid of whatever it is that causes MMC to continue offering the ...blah..Microelectrics...blah modem as an option?

In the BIOS I tried enabling the RS232 port (which was disabled). That didn't help.

All theories considered.

TIA

Helen

Just Joined!
    First, apologies for referring to MCC as MMC in the original post.

I did get my winmodem working fine in the end, both with wvdial and with KPPP. wvdial was useful because it gives you so much detail about the handshaking. I could see that my ISP was ignoring requests for some check responses. However, KPPP got me online and offline so simply that I won't persevere with wvdial.

I *really* think the modem setup in MCC is broken. It just didn't write any of the configuration stuff; and I couldn't get it to set up any alternative accounts. And, even when I'm online and staring at a Google page with Firefox, it's *still* telling me I don't have any internet connections set up! Oh well.

Helen

There's only two Distro's that I've been able to get the modem working on my Thinkpad T22 and T40 correctly. They both worked without having to do anything other than configuring the ISP (number & username/password)

T22 - SuSE 9.0/9.1

T40 - SuSE 9.2/9.3 and Mepis 3.3.2 Test02