Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%
  • Partially

0 0%
Setting Up Wireless Network On Mandriva Linux Kernel V. 2.6.11 with a D-Link DWL-G520 WNIC and a D-Link DWL – 2100AP access point. Step One: For general inquiries, you will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting Up Wireless Network On Mandriva with a D-Link DWL-G520 WNIC and a D-Link DWL – 2100AP access

Setting Up Wireless Network On Mandriva Linux Kernel V. 2.6.11 with a D-Link DWL-G520 WNIC and a D-Link DWL – 2100AP access point.

Step One:
    For general inquiries, you will need first to go to:
    http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz and check whether your WNIC is Linux Compatible.

Step Two:
    Install the Kernel source from your Linux CD: Put the cd or dvd into the drive and use the following code in your terminal:

Code:
    urpmi kernel-source gcc cvs
    Step Three:
    Download the Madwifi Drivers, which are open source drivers for a lot of commercial WNIC s . you can either download them by following this link :
    http://madwifi.otaku42.de/madwifi-cvs-current.tar.bz2
    or by using your terminal and this code:

Code:
    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/madwifi login
    press return when asked for a password, then

Code:
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/madwifi co -P madwifi
    this step will download the source for the madwifi drivers.

Compile the source code by using this code in the terminal:
    and be notified that madwifi is the directory of the downloaded drivers.
    Code:
    cd madwifi  				 
    make		
    sudo make install
    this will place the drivers in : /lib/modules/2.6[version]mdkcustom/net . the files need to be moved to /lib/modules/2.6[your kernel version]mdk/ ,for example, the kernel version of the Mandriva where this process was tested is 2.6.11-6smpmdk so it would be:

Code:
    cp –rf /lib/modules/2.6.11-mdkcustom/net/*  /lib/modules/2.6.11-6smpmdk/kernel/net
    to know which version is your kernel and replace it in the previous string, go into /lib/modules/ and type :
    Code:
    ls
    then your kernel should be listed .

Step four:
    Append the module configuration script with the following line, in order to auto-load the driver when your system starts :

Code:
    cp /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf_backup        
    echo “alias ath0 ath_pci” >>/etc/modprobe.conf
    depmod –a
    finally, load the driver:
    Code:
    modprobe ath_pci
    Step five:
    Goto Mandriva’s control center, select network configuration, and make sure you can see the WNIC selected.
    Fill in the configuration .
    Press apply.
    Now open the terminal and use this code:

Code:
    ifconfig ath0 up
    this is to wake up your network configuration.

Now go back to the control center and click on wireless networks, you should be able to see the networks available , from here on you should be able to continue.

Reference: http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/dokuw...hp?id=mandrake

B. Chit
    W. A .S

PS: Please Tell me if this helped.

i will give a try sometime this weekend......will let you know if they work.

fif
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Thanks a lot

Thanks you very much.
    your post helped me very much. I tried to setup my wifi for almost 6 hours.
    Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks

Just Joined!

Didn't work for me

I followed the instructions explicitly, and when I run modprobe I get "FATAL: module ath_pci not found". I'm a complete newbie, so help is appreciated

My wireless card worked with MEPIS, but I wanted a more mainstream distribution that was based on an RPM system...so I switched...I love Mandriva, but this is getting annoying.

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=mareshal]Setting Up Wireless Network On Mandriva Linux Kernel V. 2.6.11 with a D-Link DWL-G520 WNIC and a D-Link DWL – 2100AP access point.

Step One:
    For general inquiries, you will need first to go to:
    http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz and check whether your WNIC is Linux Compatible.

Step Two:
    Install the Kernel source from your Linux CD: Put the cd or dvd into the drive and use the following code in your terminal:

Code:
    urpmi kernel-source gcc cvs
    bash: urpmi: command not found

any suggestions?

Just Joined!

Exclamation The Choice After urpmi kernel-source gcc cvs

[root@localhost Desktop]# uname -r
    2.6.17-5mdv

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi kernel-source gcc cvs
    One of the following packages is needed:
    1- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.6mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)
    2- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.8mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)
    3- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.14mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)
    4- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.13mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)
    5- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.10mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)
    6- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.11mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)
    7- kernel-source-2.6.17.6mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)
    8- kernel-source-2.6.17.8mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)
    9- kernel-source-2.6.17.11mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)
    10- kernel-source-2.6.17.13mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)
    11- kernel-source-2.6.17.10mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)
    12- kernel-source-2.6.17.14mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)
    What is your choice? (1-12)

Now What?!?!?!?