Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Hello everyone, I've been searching this problem since yesterday, and nothing I've tried has solved it. I'm trying to install Akregator 1.0.2 from the source file, since there is no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8

    Compiling source: No KDE headers installed


    Hello everyone,

    I've been searching this problem since yesterday, and nothing I've tried has solved it. I'm trying to install Akregator 1.0.2 from the source file, since there is no Mandriva RPM that I can access. (I can pay to get it form the Mandriva Club if I had money.) I am using Mandriva Linux Limited Edition 2005, and I use KDE.

    I download the source, uncompress it, and then I
    Code:
    ./configure
    At which point it does lots of checks, and then stops and says
    Code:
    in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE
    headers installed. This will fail.
    So, check this please and use another prefix!
    In my searching I read that you might need to install the development packages in Mandriva, because they don't install by default. I installed some, including the KDE one, but that didn't work. I then installed ALL the Development packages, and I still get the same error message.

    I guess I think it's still a package problem, in which case does anyone know what package I need to install to so I can have the KDE headers?

    Or, am I barking up the wrong tree trying to install packages that may have this? I'm also not certain what a "prefix" is, and that might help my searching for a solution.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8
    Hello Linux Gurus and Newbies, and everyone in between.

    Well, I've managed to work aroud the problem.

    What I did is I went to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and followed the instructions (clicking the the "proceed" button at every step). It spat out a series of commands that I copied & pasted in to a terminal logged in as "su" (super user).

    When that was done, I went to K-Menu -> System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Install Software. Typed in "Akregator" and the package came up (although, it was 1.0.1 not 1.0.2, but I'll survive).

    Clicked, installed, all is well. And I have a bunch of new packages to go through.

    HOWEVER. I would like to still learn how to fix my original problem. If anyone can give me any tips, I would apprecaite it.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Just Joined! djap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    99
    just found this on kde-forums.
    open Terminal Program and...
    Code:
    su
    [root password]
    urpmi kdelibs-devel
    urpmi kdebase-devel
    Not sure if it is what you're looking for but you could give it a try.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Zbi
    Zbi is offline
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by djap View Post
    just found this on kde-forums.
    open Terminal Program and...
    Code:
    su
    [root password]
    urpmi kdelibs-devel
    urpmi kdebase-devel
    Not sure if it is what you're looking for but you could give it a try.
    I went before through various more or less sophisticated explanations but only this, the simplest one works.
    Thanks

  6. #5
    Linux Engineer hazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Harrow, UK
    Posts
    1,281
    When you build software using the GNU build system, there's a directory tree that things will get installed in. The root of this tree is represented in the scripts by $(PREFIX). If you don't set it, it usually defaults to /usr/local. That means that programs will go into /usr/local/bin, libraries into /usr/local/lib, data into /usr/local/share, and so on. This is quite a useful default, as it distinguishes stuff you've built and installed yourself from the software that came with your distro.

    I don't know much about KDE, but I think it prefers using the /opt directory rather than /usr/lib. Perhaps if you had built with "./configure --prefix=/opt", it would have worked.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •