Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok here it is, I have been playing around with the great Mandrake 2005 limited edition, but i decided id put on mandrake 10.1 instead. anyways i downloaded the ISO ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No CD/DVD drive.... wt?

Ok here it is,

I have been playing around with the great Mandrake 2005 limited edition, but i decided id put on mandrake 10.1 instead. anyways i downloaded the ISO image and burned the DVD, when i went to boot from it it comes up with the usual screen, so i press enter, then it SHOULD go into the choose language etc, but instead it decides it cant find a CD/DVD drive!! and then offers to boot from floppy!! I mean... its having a Giraffe aint it?
    It gives me some options for drivers that i can use to get the thing working, so i choose the one i have to go for when im in the gui installation. Then it says i have to type in some parameters? i dont know what to put, so i press OK.

It just dont work.. this is crazy dudes!! whats up with it... cant even get into the installation! lolz

cheers for the info.

did you check the md5sum of the iso before burning?

if you want to boot from a floppy, mandrake includes the floppy boot images on the cd, so launch windows, insert the cd goto the dosutils folder and launch rawwrite. Point rawwrite to the images folder on the cd and tell it to write the floppy image onto a floppy.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    did you check the md5sum of the iso before burning?

if you want to boot from a floppy, mandrake includes the floppy boot images on the cd, so launch windows, insert the cd goto the dosutils folder and launch rawwrite. Point rawwrite to the images folder on the cd and tell it to write the floppy image onto a floppy.
    er.. i dont have a floppy drive in my laptop. And what is "md5sum" ? How do i do it..

I have downloaded it again and burned the disk. still get the same problem.

Whats wrong! why dont they have the same drivers in 10.1 than the limited edition! i would of thought it would be the other way around.

Cheers for the help guys.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    regarding md5sums... here's a HowTo posted by dylunio a while back that will explain what they are and how to check them:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-48038.html

regarding the booting from a floppy, with nero you can create a cd which emulates a floppy. Simply create a bootable cd in nero, select the emulate 1.44 M floppy option, point it to the image file on the cd and burn.

Insert this cd in the drive while booting and follow whatever instructions which may come.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Re: No CD/DVD drive.... wt?

I have been playing around with the great Mandrake 2005 limited edition, but i decided id put on mandrake 10.1 instead. anyways i downloaded the ISO image and burned the DVD, when i went to boot from it it comes up with the usual screen, so i press enter, then it SHOULD go into the choose language etc, but instead it decides it cant find a CD/DVD drive!! and then offers to boot from floppy!! I mean... its having a Giraffe aint it?

It is because your laptop uses SATA drives. You must boot alt1 (If I remember right) kernel for the install to work.

Play around using alternate kernels on your install.
    HTH
    Joe Brandt (been there)

Whats wrong! why dont they have the same drivers in 10.1 than the limited edition! i would of thought it would be the other way around.
    2005 LE is 10.2 so it has drivers that aren't in 10.1