Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i've alredy install mandriva... but when it load, the loading gets stock on the middle of it and it start again... a linux group of my city told me it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't use mandriva

i've alredy install mandriva... but when it load, the loading gets stock on the middle of it and it start again... a linux group of my city told me it's because of my motherboard or something, so they do to my pc something, i don't really know what... and it all get perfect... but here's the problem... i have to change my hard disk so i install mandriva again, and the problem is the same... can you help me?

You really didn't give us much to go on, what is your computer specs?

This sounds similar to the ACPI and APM problems other people were getting, um, can you boot into windows or any OS at all?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Well since im having the same problem it was easy for me to translate that, 2005 LE went onto my laptop like a dream (inspiron 1100) but when i attempted to install it on my Desktop i ran into the same problem. Once the installation procedure was complete and it had rebooted it would get to runlevel 3 (??? interactive startup section) load a few modules/services then as sonn as it hit "Mounting USB Filesystem [OK]" linux would no longer continue to load. I could type stuff in and it would show up etc so it was recieving input but it just wasnt doing anything, even fail safe wouldnt get past that point.

Im running a Athlon 2400+ on a gigabyte Mobo with the nforce 2 chipset, 512mb ram (2x 256 same type/manufacturer) and 2x ide hdd's.

Just Joined!

can't use mandriva

I still can boot into windows
    well, it looks like it's the same problem of azaael... but you doesn't tell me how you correct that...
    the only thing i know to correct that is by setting some modules (which ones? who knows!)...

Just Joined!
    I can boot into windows without a problem also, and FC4 and FC3 worked fine also.

Both of you, try turning off APM in the bios and see if that helps, but beware that by turning it off Windows might refuse to boot.

Both of you can try the folowing, when grub loads, try passing noapic and acpi=off to the system to see if that helps.

Just Joined!
    Worked a treat, Thanks

only had to pass those 2 lines to linux on boot, with the GA7n400l mobo you cant switch off apm. I'll have to test which one of those commands did the trick and modify the boot

Thanks again

Linux Guru
    I'm having a rough time with Mandriva. I think it's rather buggy myself. YOu might try MDK 10.1, it lacked most of the bugs I've seen in MDR.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

ja_sc, in reply to your PM, the way you turn apm off is to go into the bios (Hit DEL, F1 etc..), search for APM and turn it off. In some instances this may help.

However if this does not help, when grub loads, you have the option of passing extra options to it. Firstly press the Up or down arrow to stop the count down timer. Then start typing the commands like so:
    Code:
    Boot Options:  acpi=off noapic
    Then boot into the default selection e.g. Mandrake 10.1 and not the failsafe option. (Don't type boot options)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast