Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop, and I used the ntfsresize utility found in SystemRescueCD to make space for Linux. The resizing itself was absolutely painless (and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems Installing Mandriva 2005 LE

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop, and I used the ntfsresize utility found in SystemRescueCD to make space for Linux. The resizing itself was absolutely painless (and I highly recommend SystemRescueCD). I made three partitions--one for Windows, another for Fedora Core 4, and the third to try out Mandriva 2005 LE. However, while Fedora installed painlessly, the Mandriva would not proceed beyond the entering of a few options. When it was time to start formatting and copying files, it said something like "Invalid hda List" (I can't seem to remember the exact wording of the error.) I even tried deleting all the partitions and installing only Mandriva, but I got the same error.

The DVD from which I am trying to install is fine. So what could be giving rise to this problem?

was the error "invalid hdlist.cz" or something of that sort? If this error pops up, then the installation media is most likely corrupted. the hdlist.cz file is what Mandriva uses to find the location and details of what packages are available on the media.

try doing a md5sum check on the dvd before burning it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.