Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

sound blaster audigy 2 value and mandrake linux

i was just posting to see if anyone knew how to get my sound card to work on linux my sound card is a sound blaster audigy 2 value and ive looked on the website they have none for linux drivers anyone know what i should try next

We'll need some more information about which sound system you're using, and which driver are you using with your sound card? I would use ALSA. Also, there are a lot of existing threads about this: search the forum to see if your question has already been answered - that should get you up and running.

Your sound might just be muted. Assuming you're using ALSA, if you open a terminal and type alsamixer you'll get a graphical display where you can adjust your settings. There is also the option to type alsaconf. Try that first: you might need to be root, I can't remember.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

ok thx ill try that and get back to you on weather it worked or not and also im new to linux so what you mean by sound system i know one part of that and that is 82801EB AC'97 audio is one and it wont recognize my other which is the audigy 2 value so it just says soundcard on that one the driver is unknown vendor is (null) on the other vendor intel corp module snd-intel8x0 alternate drivers ali5455, i810_audio, and nvaudio does any of this help point you in the direction of helping me out

also i tried alsamixer turned all of the volumes up and even unmuted them still no go

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by astro_9040
    ok thx ill try that and get back to you on weather it worked or not and also im new to linux so what you mean by sound system i know one part of that and that is 82801EB AC'97 audio is one and it wont recognize my other which is the audigy 2 value so it just says soundcard on that one the driver is unknown vendor is (null) on the other vendor intel corp module snd-intel8x0 alternate drivers ali5455, i810_audio, and nvaudio does any of this help point you in the direction of helping me out

also i tried alsamixer turned all of the volumes up and even unmuted them still no go
    Hello again - Well, there are different 'sound servers' which you can use. Basically these are (quite large) programmes which provide sound support for any given card. ALSA is a popular one, and it's the one I use with my budget Soundblaster card. If you go into 'Configure my computer' in Mandriva, there's a section for setting up your soundcard and for linking a sound driver to it. You might need to be a bit patient: the stages are something like:

1. Set up ALSA
    2. Make sure that your system recognises your card and has a good driver associated with it.
    3. Check your sound channels to make sure they are turned up.

You might need to experiment with different sound drivers though. I use one called snd -emu 10k1 which works well.

What's confusing is that there are different approaches to setting up a sound card. Once ALSA is installed you can open a command line and type alsaconf - These days, I do that.

From a command line you can also type lspci This will give you a list of your cards etc., and will tell you which sound driver is linked to your particular card. It's easier to do than it is to describe
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

yeah i was thinking of getting mandriva le 2005 yeah i think that's what i'll do and see if i have problems with the sound again or if they already have drivers for it speaking of which i found mine uses the same snd emu 10k1 or the other i guess its for the oss server? its emu 10k1 everything the same but no snd in front i thank you for all your help and ill let you know if i run into any problems btw i switching from intel to amd now my disc cover reads x86 is it compliant with amd 64 because like i said im can call it upgrading to mandriva le and i was going to get the one for amd 64 but just to know is it or can it play with both i mean handle amd and intel if you can answer that id appreciate it