Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello all. First I'm must admit that I'm a complete beginner with Linux. I need to compile some short C program that uses Xlib.h and Xutil.h libraries. I can't locate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't find Xlib.h and Xutil.h files (solved)

Hello all.

First I'm must admit that I'm a complete beginner with Linux.

I need to compile some short C program that uses Xlib.h and Xutil.h libraries. I can't locate them anywhere though. After an extensive search I've found out that those 2 are part of xorg-x11-devel package. So I found that package and tried installing it. But installation stopped right away saying that it's already installed. But I still can't find Xlib.h and Xutil.h anywhere.

Any ideas what am I missing?

Linux Newbie
    What error you are getting at the time of compile.
    And which compiler you are using. I don't know, but i got there is some defirents between gcc and g++. I use g++ .
    S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Just Joined!
    I tried both gcc and g++ from Mandrake version 10.1.

I get following error message:
    Code:
    X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory. 
    X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory.
    Code in my application is:
    Code:
    #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    #include <X11/Xutil.h>
    All I have to do is find those 2 files and change path in code. But can't find them anywhere and can't install package with them cause it says that it's alredy installed.

I wonder how you are searching for those files? I would open a console, log in as root and try:

find / -name Xlib.h -print

That should do it because it'll search through your entire directory tree with no restrictions. If not, then something is a bit crazy. I've noticed that these header file error messages almost always mean that the programme you are trying to compile needs a development package.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I wonder how you are searching for those files? I would open a console, log in as root and try:

find / -name Xlib.h -print

That should do it because it'll search through your entire directory tree with no restrictions. If not, then something is a bit crazy.
    Tried that and it just lists a bunch of directories with with message 'Permission denied' for each.

I've noticed that these header file error messages almost always mean that the programme you are trying to compile needs a development package.
    Yep, those 2 files should be in xorg-x11-devel package. But when I try installing it I get the message that it's installed already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski
    Tried that and it just lists a bunch of directories with with message 'Permission denied' for each.
    That should never happen - not if you are root. If you can't search directories with root access, when can you?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski
    That should never happen - not if you are root. If you can't search directories with root access, when can you?
    My fault, sorry.
    Tried again as root and didn't get any message at all. So I guess files weren't found.

Hi again. This seems to be quite a common problem. Look at this thread. Not sure about the solution though.

Just Joined!
    Thanx for all the help so far. Still can't get it to work though

Yep, I saw that thread. that's where I found info that those 2 files are in xorg-x11-devel package. But as I mentioned at start: I can't install that package cause it says that everything from it is already installed.

Just Joined!
    I found another package that (hopefully) has those 2 libraries needed.
    But I can't install it. This is the error message I get:
    Code:
    Some package requested cannot be installed&#58;
    libqt3-devel-3.3.4-5mdk.i586 &#40;due to unsatisfied devel&#40;libXrender&#41;&#41;
    do you agree ?
    Can anyone please explain what is wrong?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast