Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've never used Linux before but finally decided to take the plunge recently. I first tried a Live CD of Knoppix which seemed to work fine with all my hardware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems:(

I've never used Linux before but finally decided to take the plunge recently. I first tried a Live CD of Knoppix which seemed to work fine with all my hardware including my network and sound card. Now I've installed Mandriva LE2005 and now am having two problems.

1. Sound Card
    Firstly everytime I load a sound program I get a /dev/dsp does not exist error. I'm using the Soundblaster Audigy.

2. Network
    The system picks up my network card but I can't get onto the network. If I click connect on the network properties thing then it tries for a while then fails.

Can anyone help with either of these things? I'm absolutely flummoxed!

Cheers,
    Rich

I could be mistaken, but Knoppix offers the option to install it to your harddrive. If it worked with all your hardware, that might be a better choice than Mandriva. Sorry I couldn't help you more; I haven't used Mandriva since back when it was still called Mandrake.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Re: Problems:(

Quote Originally Posted by richstock
    I've never used Linux before but finally decided to take the plunge recently. I first tried a Live CD of Knoppix which seemed to work fine with all my hardware including my network and sound card.
    If Knoppix worked, why are you installing Mandriva? You can install Knoppix using these instructions:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Installer

Theoretically, the Knoppix installer is in its experimental stage, but I haven't had a problem with it. If you don't want to use an experimental installer, use Mepis--it's a Knoppix-based distribution that's both a live and installer CD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close