Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded and installed the mandriva LE2005 mini cd iso, without knowing it at the time. I don't have a fast internet connection on the computer it was installed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandriva LE2005 mini...?

I downloaded and installed the mandriva LE2005 mini cd iso, without knowing it at the time. I don't have a fast internet connection on the computer it was installed to so the mini edition, as i understand it, is not for me. Apparently the mini edition installes the rest via broadband. I downloaded the "full version" 3cd mandriva LE2005 to replace it.
    My questions are:
    are there any problems with "upgrading" the mini version by using the 3 cd version?
    and what is the best method? should i boot from cd1 and try to "upgrade" OR should i specify the three cds as rpm repositories and use that method to install the rest of the packages?

oz
    forum.guy

Re: Mandriva LE2005 mini...?

If you have the full version, I'd recommend just installing it rather than trying to upgrade the network install version. In the end, it will probably save you time, and that route may be less likely to cause you any grief.

The full version installs on my box in about 16 minutes, so that would be faster than trying to figure out an upgrade path.

Best of luck with it, either way...

but i have a double boot with fedora core 4... installing the full version over the "mini" version wouldn't mess anything up would it? It took me a while to get the partitions worked out and i'd rather not have to install EVERYTHING again...

now i'm confused.
    I'm not sure i installed the mini version in the first place.
    this is the iso i installed:
    http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/dist...o/10.2/x86_64/
    Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD.x86_64.iso
    but it's only one disk... it doesn't say "mini" but if it's not... where are the rest of the packages???

Linux Guru
    That's the 64 bit distro, and it should be fourdiscs. I've never seen that mirror before or heard it recommended. I would install over it. The Mandriva installer is very good, it is very graphical so it will ask you about installing over Fedora, and give you as much or as little control as you want over the install.

Generally you're safest to download from the offical mirrors to make sure what you're getting isn't altered in any way.

could you point me to one of the official mirrors? i can't find any that have the x86_64 edition on four disks...

Linux Guru
    Actually I'm sorry I take back what I said - There does seem to be only one disc for x86_64, and that was an official mirror - (takes foot out of mouth) The 32 bit version has 3 discs, with an extra one for paying customers. Possibly they are just releasing a bare version for 64 bit. Seems pretty bad as SuSE and a lot of the other big distros provide full 64 bit editions.

is it relatively problem-free to install an suse 64 bit distro over the mandriva one i have? I've been checking out suse aswell... it looks pretty nice.