Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I recently installed mandrake 9.1 on an IBM thinkpad 390x laptop, 400Mhz Celeron, 256mb ram, 4.3gb HD, and I am pretty happy with it's performance in Gnome on such ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble updating Mandrake 9.1

Hello, I recently installed mandrake 9.1 on an IBM thinkpad 390x laptop, 400Mhz Celeron, 256mb ram, 4.3gb HD, and I am pretty happy with it's performance in Gnome on such a low performance machine. I was wanting to do some security updates, but the software update program can't find any update mirrors. I can go to a newer distribution, but jumping to MDK 10 brings less than satisfactory performance in GNOME and KDE. Any help on what the newer update mirrors are would be appreciated. I was unsure if 9.1 was not supported anymore, or if the addresses have changed since mandrake is now mandriva.

Thanks

-Eric-

Just Joined!
    Mandrake 9.1 is unsupported. I don't think 10.0 isn't going to be supported for much longer either.
    http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime

You'd be better off just getting 2005LE and using a more lightweight Window Manager (eg. use GNOME instead of KDE or even use something like Xfce to really boost performance).

you can get more performance with that machine if you use a large swap space ~700 MB and a lightweight WM such as IceWM or Xfce
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close