Find the answer to your Linux question:
i tried to install mandriva and i booted the installation thing (it's limited edition 2005; does that really mean anything?) and went through all that stuff and when it got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandriva won't install any packages

i tried to install mandriva and i booted the installation thing (it's limited edition 2005; does that really mean anything?) and went through all that stuff and when it got to installing packages it failed for each one. does anyone know what's wrong?

Sounds like your CD(s) are probably faulty. If you downloaded the CDs it's probably worth checking the MD5sum - I cant remember how to do this , but that's what's usually recommended by people more knowledgeable than I when the reliability of a downloaded CD is a worry. Im sure someone will be able to explain the process (that is if you dont already know how yourself...)

Hope this helps
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    no ive heard of md5sums but i don't know how to check them. any input would be appreciated. thanks.

If you downloaded the Mandriva disks, go to the location where you got it and get the files that end in .md5, you then run an MD5 program against each of the discs, it should produce an alphanumeric string. This should be the same as the string inside the .md5 fil(s) you got fromthe download location. It's basically an algorithm that runs against the data and produces a summary - This site has a utility for checking it.

Just Joined!
    well i got the isos from:

ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakeli...iso/10.2/i586/

which file would be the correct md5 file? there's a bunch of .asc files.

They are the correct ones, there is a sha1 and md5 checksum fule (they in this case have .asc extensions - just makes them easier to associate in other OSes). Match up the md5.asc for the one you downloaded and you're on your way.