Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i was installing kde for my desktop and ran into problems can anyone tell me what this means Code: [root@localhost kdebase-3.4.2]# gmake&&gmake install gmake all-recursive gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing KDE

hi i was installing kde for my desktop and ran into problems can anyone tell me what this means
    Code:

[root@localhost kdebase-3.4.2]# gmake&&gmake install
    gmake  all-recursive
    gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2'
    Making all in libkonq
    gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2/libkonq'
    Making all in pics
    gmake[3]: Entering directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2/libkonq/pics'
    gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2/libkonq/pics'
    Making all in favicons
    gmake[3]: Entering directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2/libkonq/favicons'
    if /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I/usr/lib/qt3//include -I/usr/X11R6/include   -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -D_GNU_SOURCE  -MT favicons.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/favicons.Tpo" -c -o favicons.lo favicons.cpp; \
    then mv -f ".deps/favicons.Tpo" ".deps/favicons.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/favicons.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    favicons.cpp:269: error: visibility arg must be one of "default", "hidden", "protected" or "internal"
    gmake[3]: *** [favicons.lo] Error 1
    gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2/libkonq/favicons'
    gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2/libkonq'
    gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/astro_9040/downloads/kdebase-3.4.2'
    gmake: *** [all] Error 2
    [root@localhost kdebase-3.4.2]#
    i'd appreciate any help

Linux Guru
    Installing and WM from source is a real PITA, espeically on a system designed for use with RPMs. Is there a reason you're trying to do it this way?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    Installing and WM from source is a real PITA, espeically on a system designed for use with RPMs. Is there a reason you're trying to do it this way?

Jeremy
    installing and WM? pita? these are unfamiliar terms with me can simplify this

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Installing any window manager (WM) from source is a real pain in the ass (PITA), especially on systems designed for use with the Redhat package manager (RPM).

Although I guess KDE is a desktop environment (DE), and not a WM.

You should install the KDE rpm's that came with your installation disk.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    oh alright ty for spelling that out for me and yeah it is a pain but i know it can be done somehow also im doing this cause i would like to have the latest edition of kde