Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have an ADSL Router (D-Link). It connects perfectly to the internet via DHCP in windows. Now in Mandrake 10.1, I set up the configuration using the normal procedure in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DSL config

I have an ADSL Router (D-Link). It connects perfectly to the internet via DHCP in windows. Now in Mandrake 10.1, I set up the configuration using the normal procedure in the 'computer settings' in KDE.

* This is my problem: I can access mandriva.org, mozilla.org, creativecommons.org, rediff.com, but cannot access google, yahoo, msn, and a whole bunch of popular sites on the internet.

Please help!!!!

can you ping them with this command:
    Code:
    ping -c 4 www.google.com
    paste the output of this here.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    The output is:

PING www.l.GOOGLE.COM (64.233.161.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from www.google.com (64.233.161.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=241 time=340 ms
    64 bytes from www.google.com (64.233.161.99): icmp_seq=2 ttl=241 time=340 ms
    64 bytes from www.google.com (64.233.161.99): icmp_seq=3 ttl=241 time=341 ms
    64 bytes from www.google.com (64.233.161.99): icmp_seq=4 ttl=241 time=341 ms

--- www.l.GOOGLE.COM ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 340.336/340.980/341.616/0.758 ms

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    see if turning off the firewall helps. Also what exactly happens when you enter "www.google.com" into firefox's address bar?

When you connect via dhcp, have you entered the routers ip address in the dns entry and the gateway entry?

Just Joined!
    Well,
    * the firewall is turned off.
    * I get the popup: ¨operation timed out while attempting to connect to...¨ if I type the msn.com, yahoo.com or google.com into the address bar. It takes about 2/3 mins to time out.
    * In windows if I type the IP address: 192.168.1.1 I can check the connection status of my connection. User name=admin, pwd= admin. I entered the same details while configuring my connection in Linux. Thatś all the details (Windows only) mentioned in the modem manual.

My modem is DSL-502T

Well if you 've set up the dns entries and the like correctly, only thing I can think of is the way firefox sees your connection goto edit -> preferences -> general -> connection and say you have a direct connection to internet.

does this problem happen with other browsers?

Just Joined!
    My connection is set to direct connection. I am using Mozilla 1.7.2

Yes, this happens to Konq and epiphany too, and I cannot configure the gmail pop3 settings too.

My network connection is otherwise fine, I am accessing this page using mozilla.

Just Joined!
    I'm having this problem as well. I've just installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 over the weekend and I haven't got as far as installing firefox in mu linux o/s. Thing is, with me, it does what you say, but also sometimes accesses websites, and sometimes doesn't. I've done everything I can think of and am at my wits end. Otherwise I'm loving the OS!

hmm the only other thing i can think of is that a firewall may be interfering with the connection, make sure that it is either turned off or assigned to an internal zone. It also could be of some help if you could paste the output of the dmesg command while you are trying to connect.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    hmm the only other thing i can think of is that a firewall may be interfering with the connection, make sure that it is either turned off or assigned to an internal zone.
    I have no idea how to do any of that. Could you shed a bit of light?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast