Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I'm a modern day linux newbie (used slackware years ago but my how things change ) and have a few questions as far as Package Management and updates ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Package Management

Hey all, I'm a modern day linux newbie (used slackware years ago but my how things change ) and have a few questions as far as Package Management and updates on Mandriva 10.1. I installed fine from downloaded CDs yesterday but when it came time to make a mandrakeonline.com account it failed because it could not contact the servers. If I run urpmi mdkupdate it says that everything is installed but when I try to run the mdkonline wizard it is unable to connect to the server, and clearly my connection is fine as I'm posting this

I tried from another thread editing the source in the config file to point to www.mandrivalinux.com instead of whatever the old server was but I am still having the same problems. I was able to setup a mirror source manually in Rpmdrake so maybe I don't need to me able to use mdkupdate or mdkonline? I guess my confusion comes from so many package management programs.

If Rpmdrake is all that I need, is there some way to tell it to check and see if all of my packages are up to date, or is this a urpmi thing?

Thanks

Hmm, I'm not sure, but you might want to have a look at this tutorial: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-19957.html(scroll down a bit to the urpm section) -- It has links to set things up etc.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Follow the instructions in my sig and all will be revealed