Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have a problem with the /mn/ folder. I have installed and reinstalled mandriva a couple of times for different reasons, and now I've got three empty directories in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Removing stuff from /mnt/

Hi. I have a problem with the /mn/ folder. I have installed and reinstalled mandriva a couple of times for different reasons, and now I've got three empty directories in /mnt/. First, theres "captive-noname", from when I installed captive NTFS a while ago, however, when I uninstalled it (from urpmi), the mount point, or whatever it is called didn't disappear. My windows partition shows up as "win_c" and "win_d", however, the "windows" folder remains from an earlier installation. It is empty. There's also a folder representing my USB memory-style mp3 player, "IAUDIO", but when I connect the player, it creates a new folder, "IAUDIO2", which is the real one. "IAUDIO" is empty.

My question is, is there any way to all of these, or are there different methods for each of them (since they seem to be there for different reasons)? If so, does anyone have any idea how to remove them? Help greatly appreciated.

Mountpoints are just directorios like any other... so just
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    rmdir /mnt/windows
    and replace windows with teh dirs you want to delete
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    That worked great, thanks a bundle. Well, it looks like a silly question now... I'm not very familiar with linux, especially bash commands. I tried to rm the directories, not knowing there was an rmdir. The error message "is not a directory" didn't make me think in the right direction...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rikardgrankvist
    I tried to rm the directories, not knowing there was an rmdir. The error message "is not a directory" didn't make me think in the right direction...
    A cool command to use when you don't know the right command to use is 'apropos'. So you want to remove a directory, but don't know how? Try:
    Code:
    apropos directory
    and you'll get a listing of commands and brief descriptions of what they do. The lists can be pretty long, so it may be useful to filter out the choices. Try:
    Code:
    apropos directory | grep delete
    and now you'll see only the lines of the previous output which also include the word "delete". If you put the switches '-A 2 -B 2' you'll get 2 lines before and 2 lines after the word "delete" that might work even better.

Also, if you want a command that may be "related" to another, check the 'man' page, down at the bottom. This is from the bottom of the man pages for the command 'rm':
    Quote Originally Posted by man rm
    REFERENCED BY
    debugfs(8), lockfile(1), remove(3), rmdir(2), tmpwatch(8), unlink(2)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better