Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to linux. I installed Mandriva Limited 2005 10.1 (currently running 10.2) and i dont seem to have any sound. I tried sndconfig, but it said that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help a linux beginer

Hello,

I am new to linux. I installed Mandriva Limited 2005 10.1 (currently running 10.2) and i dont seem to have any sound. I tried sndconfig, but it said that my SB Audigy 2 ZS was "Unknown Vendor|unkown" and unsupported. Where can i find drivers for it? or just make it work.

Also, i've noticed that anything i try to install it usualy asks for a library or something of that sort. And when even i try to install the library/ application i usually get a bunch of errors. I have some knowledge of C++ and im able to fix some of the errors, but sometimes it cannot find some of the header files (*.h).
    For example
    I was trying to install lm_sensors, but it needs i2c.]
    When i try to install i2c : i get bunch of errors:
    Code:
    [martinb@localhost i2c-2.9.1]$ make
    gcc -D__SMP__ -I/lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include -nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.4.3/include -Wall -O2 -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -fomit-frame-pointer -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -fno-strict-aliasing -c kernel/i2c-core.c -o kernel/i2c-core.o
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/smp.h:18,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/linux/smp.h:19,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/linux/sched.h:25,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/linux/module.h:10,
                     from kernel/i2c-core.c:26:
    /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/mpspec.h:6:25: mach_mpspec.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/smp.h:18,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/linux/smp.h:19,
    /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/mpspec.h:8: error: `MAX_MP_BUSSES' undeclared here (not in a function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/mpspec.h:22: error: `MAX_IRQ_SOURCES' undeclared here (not in a function)
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/linux/smp.h:19,
    /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/smp.h:73:26: mach_apicdef.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/linux/smp.h:19,
    /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/smp.h: In function `hard_smp_processor_id':
    /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/build/include/asm/smp.h:77: warning: implicit declaration of function `GET_APIC_ID'
    kernel/i2c-core.c: In function `i2c_master_send':
    kernel/i2c-core.c:716: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
    make: *** [kernel/i2c-core.o] Error 1
    the first error "mach_apicdef.h: No such file or directory" i found the file in bunch of direcotries located in us/include/asm/
    but why is it i saying that there is now such file.

Is it normal to get errors like this when compiling and installing normal software?
    also how do i fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    HI,
    try to visit your SoundCard site to see if there is a Driver for Linux.
    and for the install try to get the rpm package and install it,not a binary package, a good site for rpm is rpmfind.net.