Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
well, I got wpa to work perfectly with my Netgear WG311 (54 MBit) card, albeit with ndiswrapper and not the native linux drivers. For wpa, you will need a program ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

well, I got wpa to work perfectly with my Netgear WG311 (54 MBit) card, albeit with ndiswrapper and not the native linux drivers.

For wpa, you will need a program called wpa_supplicant which provides the wpa encryption for the system. As long as the card supports wpa, you should be fine.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    xandros is an 8 click install.

Just Joined!
    I would go for Suse, as Mepis isnt going to be on AMD 64 for a bit...

just avoid 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 are better in my opinion...

you can even give Ubuntu a spin, though I am not a big fan of it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am going to install Mandrake on my wife's PC for right now since it is wired. I will download SuSe and try that on my machine.

Backing up everything with my wonderful Acronis right now.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    This really could be said of any of the major distros out there. There's nothing inherently special about SuSE.
    I have to disagree with you on this statement. I've tried all the major distros and SuSE is the only one that everything works without having to jump through hoops on my desktop and laptop computers. On the laptop I've only found two distros that the modem works period, Mepis 3.3.2-test03 and SuSE 9.2/9.3.
    I second LondoJowo on this one. SuSE has in fact one of the better hardware detection systems. You might think other major distro's do as good a job as SuSE, but that's not true - they still do a good job, but SuSE does a better one. Its hardware detection is unrivaled.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie

online help

Have loaded MDK 10.0 onto 4 different PCs now with excellent results in hardware detection. I'm sure each distro has its tales of triumph and dispair.

Until you become familiar with linux, I HIGHLY recommend DSL thru LAN connection.
    If not, then use an external serial modem configured thru Kppp and set on /dev/ttyS0.

Resist the urge to install an internal PCI modem even if it is a linux compatible hdwr modem. You could get online in one or two days but more likely it will be weeks before you find the right combination of drivers/kernel/kernel sources/init strings/compile/etc. and if the modem is a winmodem......well............try not to cry in front of the children.

The external serial modem requires no drivers, and because everyone HAS TO HAVE HISPEED, they are getting rid of older 56k and 34k modems and can be had at local thrift shops for less than $5. Look around. 34k modems actually have better noise rejection on older analog phone lines and can still do file transfer at 4.7 kb/s which is hauling *ss for dialup.

I have installed internal PCI modems (USRobotics 5610B and AMI IA56 Intel 536ep) in MDK 10.0, FC2, and Slackware 9.2 and can tell you that the install took 5 minutes. BTW....gathering everything and learning how took over a month.

Also make sure your ISP plays nice with linux. AOL doesn't unless you fool around with Linspire or some goofy dialer called penngy.

good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2