Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Long story short, I tried Linux two times before. Recently, I gave up because I could not get my machine online. To me, that was the most important because I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Okay, I am ready to try Linux for the third time.

Long story short, I tried Linux two times before. Recently, I gave up because I could not get my machine online. To me, that was the most important because I figured if I get it online, the rest I learn while I surf the web on Linux.

I want to try again, but am going to be a real newb here. Can someone help me and walk me through getting online? Now, I ask that you treat me like a retard and explain step by step. I just built a new system and want to start using Linux on a dual boot partition.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    BFG nForce Ultra Mobo
    CorsairXMS PC3200 2048
    Seagate Sata 250 7200
    NEC 3500A
    NEC Floppy
    MX518
    Saitek Gamer Keyboard
    Belkin Pre-N Desktop Card http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=186931

Any help you guys have is greatly appreciated. I have all the other Linux resources guides bookmarked, but would also appreciate any you may have.

I also have six other machines, two of which are wired, but I like to learn and read on the one in my room. Otherwise I would just plug in on the other ones since wired connections are no problem in getting on.

Edit: I want to try Linux so bad, that if I need to get another card I will. I just want to get one that I know works for sure and is capable of WPA2.

Edit: My prior thread http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=

Try some live CDs out--see what works with your hardware. If the live CD gets you online, chances are the installer CD will, too. I'd recommend Mepis, Ubuntu, or Knoppix.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I do have the Mandriva Live CD and could not get on. However, it could be user error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't know if ndiswrapper will work with the belkin Pre-N card, but you can try. Also what other problems were you having?

If I were you, I would only go for a 32 bit installation now rather than a 64 bit one as some programs don't work properly with 64 bit install. Give SuSE a try, good distro, easy to configure, Yast pretty much does the dual boot configuration for you.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    No other problems, well at least I would not call them that. I am sure I may have some driver issues but I am willing to figure and research those on my own when I do. The main one is getting online so I can start using Linux as my main OS.

like AlexK said, go with SuSE. it sorts out the partitioning for you and is one of the best hardware detection systems around. if SuSE can't find drivers for your hardware then i don't think anything will.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    like AlexK said, go with SuSE. it sorts out the partitioning for you and is one of the best hardware detection systems around. if SuSE can't find drivers for your hardware then i don't think anything will.
    This really could be said of any of the major distros out there. There's nothing inherently special about SuSE.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    This really could be said of any of the major distros out there. There's nothing inherently special about SuSE.
    I have to disagree with you on this statement. I've tried all the major distros and SuSE is the only one that everything works without having to jump through hoops on my desktop and laptop computers. On the laptop I've only found two distros that the modem works period, Mepis 3.3.2-test03 and SuSE 9.2/9.3.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I have to disagree with you on this statement. I've tried all the major distros and SuSE is the only one that everything works without having to jump through hoops on my desktop and laptop computers. On the laptop I've only found two distros that the modem works period, Mepis 3.3.2-test03 and SuSE 9.2/9.3.
    That's just one person's experience. I've found equally good hardware detection for Xandros, Linspire, Mepis, Ubuntu, Blag, etc. Linspire actually had the best hardware detection I found. It all depends on what computer you have.

Just Joined!
    I already downloaded a few distobutions and want to avoid another one.

Is there a wireless card which supports wpa that you guys know always works with Linux?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast