Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
whats the point in setting nameservers if you don't know what nameserver would give you a connection? The nameservers I just mentioned would give you a connection and allow you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

whats the point in setting nameservers if you don't know what nameserver would give you a connection?
    The nameservers I just mentioned would give you a connection and allow you to resolve hosts. If you can ping them then your network configuration is correct and you just need the nameservers to resolve DNS names so that you can browse the internet.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Ok, Now if you could tell me the first text editor/command to edit it in normal mandrake distro's with no added ****, I can edit it, I just know of nano as a text editor but I haven't installed it no internet on it, I know how to change directorys of course just need the text editor to enter those.

You could try vi, pico, or joe. vi is included in just about every *nix.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll let you know my results.

Just Joined!
    I figured out how to insert into resolv.conf with vi, but how do I save? I've only used nano, Sorry for asking so many newb questions.

If you've entered "insert" mode (which you have if you were able to add text), you need to hit Escape to leave that mode and then enter a colon
    Code:
     :
    then enter
    Code:
    wq
    to write out the file (save the changes) and quit the program.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Its now up and online, Resolving and all, Thanks for the helpfull commands, the route way is much easier, By the way what is Madrakes package manager?, and fetcher, no wget or fetch I need gcc, So anyway you could hand me some assistance?, a non-gui one.

Just Joined!
    I've got wget somehow, But I need a non-gui package manager, Still need help lol.
    nano now installed
    -Update GCC/Nano/wget/FTPd/SSHd/SSL/HTTPd/Apache All working, Thanks for everything, Peace.

Just so you know, Mandrake/Mandriva's package manager is urpmi, which automagically resolves dependencies like apt and yum. To install something you have an installation repository available for, simply use
    Code:
    urpmi <packagename>

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    And if you go to the easyurpmi site and setup the extra repositories you will have access to a lot more software through urpmi than just comes on the CDs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2