Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm kinda new to linux, I usually only use SSH or w/e, But I installed Mini mandrake 10.1, Same over all as any mandrake system I guess, I have it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 eth0 Usage help.

I'm kinda new to linux, I usually only use SSH or w/e, But I installed Mini mandrake 10.1, Same over all as any mandrake system I guess, I have it connected through ethernet to my hub, then from my hub it goes to my cable modem, I have two ip's on my hub 1 to my router the other to the mandrake box, I need to know how to get my mandrake box to get a internet connection from it, I've tried many ifconfig commands, Help me out.

Can you ping the router? If so, you probably just need to add it as a gateway with
    Code:
    route add default gw <ip_address_of_your_router>
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Uh

It ain't behind the router man, Its just like a direct connection but its using the hub as a modem, and the hub is the gateway and a hub has no ip, The router is for my windows box's.
    I have the mandrake set on its own with its own ip, I just need to get my ifconfig eth0 whatever to pick it up, But I didn't know that command thanks, Though Its not needed.
    -ps My router ignores pings.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Since most ISPs don't give you more than one connection, you should probably have the Mandrake box behind the router (a good idea anyway as the router works as a firewall). With most broadband ISPs you can't have more than one working connection at a time, so if your Mandrake box pulls an ip address your router won't have one and hence your Windows boxes will lose internet.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I pay for an extra ip an month, I know what I'm talking about I just wanna get it to grab the ip its suppose to have from the hub, and Linux has its own security and firewall, I'm using it as a dedicated server, and I want it to be its own firewall.
    -ps: I've had it working with a router and a pc on the hub. :P

If it's a dynamic IP address (via DHCP) you can probably just run
    Code:
    dhclient eth0

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Its static lol, It only changes if the MAC address is changed.

Just Joined!
    That command says at the end no DHCPOFFER

A simple example would be
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.99.35 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    . You will probably also want to add a couple of nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are public DNS servers that work).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thats for a router and making it grab an ip Forcefully, I keep tring the then trying lynx, and it don't resolve hosts, and how the heck would I get nameserver ****?, I just want it to grab an ip like it would as if it were directly connected to the cable modem, Besides that, I've tried ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.0.0 and ifconfig eth0 up, I still get the same results and whats the point in setting nameservers if you don't know what nameserver would give you a connection?
    edit- I realised you told me nameservers that worked sorry about that.
    How would I put them in resolv.conf?
    go to etc/ and text edit resolv.conf, and whats the main text editor in mandrake?, I'm sure once I get internet working I'll put nano on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast