Find the answer to your Linux question:
i run mandrake 10.1 and im t rying out linux well in the terminal thing i type /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start then i type ps aux|grep sshd and sshd is now working, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

sshd with school firewall?

i run mandrake 10.1 and im t rying out linux well in the terminal thing i type

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start

then i type

ps aux|grep sshd

and sshd is now working, but at school i cant connect to my remote shell or whatever you call it.. i used putty it works everywhere else, i asked someone and he said i should assign sshd to port 80 but how do i do this?

Do not have sshd listening on port 80. It is silly and will not solve the problem in this case.

• Is the IP of your Mandrake box a public, routable address? (i.e. You're not behind a NAT device on a private network, right?)
    • Have you opened port 22 (sshd port) on your Mandrake box firewall?
    • Can you ssh in from another Linux/Unix box? If so, enable only SSH 2 protocol on your putty client.

Well, if it is working from "everywhere" else, but not at school, I would think you school is blocking port 22 traffic (as that is the default for ssh). They are either blocking it completely, or only allowing authenticated users (which you are likely not part of that group) to go through.

Now, I am not sure exactly how you can test that, but the symptoms seem to clearly point in that direction...

BTW, port 80 is the default for all http traffic (meaning web pages/serving). That has nothing to do with ssh.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I misunderstood the problem.

deek is probably right; school may be filtering outgoing traffic for who knows what. Outgoing ssh ports will be a high number, but they may even be blocking those somehow (or at an application level).

ye true they are blocking it i think, but how can i get through that? im sure the sys admins are pretty stupid there.. i have a dlink dgl-4100 router and opened port 22 ye, i have a public ip addres from my ips but im not sure how to assign it or whtever.

Well, if they are blocking it, you will have to find a port that is unblocked...you could run a port scan, but that might get you into trouble, but if you are ok with the risk, you can go for it.

Once you find an unblocked port, you can set up your ssh client (like putty or whatever) to use that port.

At home, you need to open up that same port on your router, and then forward it to, say port 22 on the machine running sshd (which is probably the easiest way). Depending on the port you use, you may run into conflicts on your home system.

So, for example, let's say you find port 8080 open at school (which is default for https). And, let's say, you are not using port 8080 at home. So, you would set up your home router to open port 8080 on the router, but forward it to port 22 on your server. Then, from school, when you ssh out, you simply have to run it from port 8080...that gets your through you school firewall and into your box (through port forwarding on your router), without a problem.

In theory, this should work...
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

thank you, i will try that and report back how it went