Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
still nothing man and I know my card is working because the signal light blinks and the power light stays on....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

still nothing man and I know my card is working because the signal light blinks and the power light stays on.

ok, heres what you do, ping your router as well as google and paste the output here. I can't figure out what exactly is going on with answers like "nope" and "still nothing". Also paste the contents of the resolv.conf file.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    ping -c 4 -I eth1 192.168.1.1
    PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) from 192.168.1.103 eth1: 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 192.168.1.103 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    ^^^^^^^^^it says that 4 times

ping -c 4 -I eth1 www.google.com
    ping: unkown host www.google.com

resolv.conf:

nameserver 24.158.63.8
    nameserver 24.158.63.9

I added the line you told me but it wont stay in the file.

if you can't ping the router, then thats one problem which need be fixed before proceeding. Is it possible in any way to move the router or your computer closer together or something of that sort....

Also, try a reboot of the system and retry the ping commands, hopefully it will detect teh network settings properly.

Just Joined!
    i am only about 15 feet away from the router and when the computer reboots it detects eth1 and says IP detected which is my card and doesnt detect eth0. rebooting and pinging still doesnt work

Hmmm, if none of those work, only things i can think of are:
    1. try reentering the details vai MCC's network setup section and here, tell it that the dns server is actually the wireless router and not some other dns server.

2. try the card in a different pci slot.

Those are the only other things that i can think of at the moment.

Just Joined!
    am a big nooooooooooob with linux..but once i dono wht but i deselected "networkhotplugging" and net worked....i knew it was related to wired net rather thn wireless but for me it worked...thot to share this

Quote Originally Posted by __Virus__
    am a big nooooooooooob with linux..but once i dono wht but i deselected "networkhotplugging" and net worked....i knew it was related to wired net rather thn wireless but for me it worked...thot to share this
    Wish I would have seen this thread earlier...I would have suggested that. About a year ago I banged my head against a wall with wireless in Mandrake and that was the solution. It also often helps to run through the firewall config utility so that it knows to allow the "new" wireless card access to the outside.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    how do I disable that function? and I have tried both slots and how do I renter the network setup section?

from memory, it is something like MCC -> Network and Internet -> Network setup. I am not too sure as I haven't used Mandrake 10.1 in ages.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast