Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

permission denied with and USB hard drive

I'm working on this problem since one week now and this is driving me crazy :/

So, I've finally decided to cry for help

Here is the problem:

I have an USB external drive of 250 Gb. There are 2 NTFS partitions on it. When I plug the USB in, Mandriva (2005 LE) recognizes it and automount it automatically .

However when I try to access it (as a regular user) it says : permission denied. But I can access it without any problem when I'm root.

Here is the content of my /etc/fstab (generated automatically by Mandriva):
    /dev/sdb1               /mnt/removable          ntfs    pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,iocharset=iso8859-1,managed 0 0
    /dev/sdb2               /mnt/removable1         ntfs    pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,iocharset=iso8859-1,managed 0 0
    I know that I normally should modify the /etc/fstab file to allow regular users to access the drive (adding 'user' on the preceding lines). However that won't work (as a matter of fact I tried several times ) because this file is modified automatically by Mandriva.

Here are the many things I tried without any luck

1. adding the 'user' param to the file /etc/fstab and then "freeze" it so that no one can modify it (using "chattr +i /etc/fstab" when being root).
    That didn't work because at the next reboot, Mandriva don't automount the drive then. And as a side effect, I couldn't use my other usb keys when I did that.

2. changing the parameters of the drive using HardDrake. This one work temporarily but again at the next reboot Mandriva don't seem to remember the parameters and I have to do that each time.

3. I tried several other things (to long to mention it) and always without any success.

So, any help would be GREATLY accepted as I'm feeling a little depressed right now :'(

Thanks in advance,

Just Joined!
    Having similar problems myself. My Mandriva won't even mount the drive though. So, you're one up on me.

The culprit is HAL which mounts automatically your USB drive as a NTFS disk with no permission at all except for root.

To prevent that, you need to add this file in
    ------------------- cut here ----------------------------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">

<match key="volume.fstype" string="ntfs">
    <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.umask=0" type="bool">true</merge>

-------------------- cut here ---------------------

You can name this file whatever name suits your taste (I chose ntfs.fdi).

This rule makes a NTFS partition to be mounted with all access rights to everybody. But as HAL adds the option "-ro" too, you can't write to your disk which is preferable as writing in NTFS partition from Linux is not well tested yet.

Hope this helps.

[EDIT] For Hal to take into account your added file, you need to reboot or execute:
    sudo /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart

4. $spacer_open
    If you get it working with that HAL policy just remember Mandriva does not write to NTFS at all - even if you can turn it on I would not recommend it. If you can best thing to do is format it as FAT32, then it can be shared between Windows and Linux.