Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have Mandriva 10.1 Community on a HP Vectra, PIII, on my first hard drive and want to clone it to a smaller hd. All i have is the op ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Viewing newly installed second hd with Konqueror

i have Mandriva 10.1 Community on a HP Vectra, PIII, on my first hard drive and want to clone it to a smaller hd. All i have is the op sys and OpenOffice, Thunderbird and Opera at this point so i figure it will fit on the second hard drive which is about 6 G. The one im using is about 12G. i'm practicing with this and want to give the finished system away to a friend of ours.
    i finally got the second hard disk installed, wiped out the Windows partition using MCC and set up a FS Ext3 partition, also using MCC. i tried to mount it - i guess i need to do this? - and the Wizard gave me several options all of which seemed dangerous, so i chose to mount it under "new_hd" as /new_hd/hdb1. Now, when i go to access it with Konqueror, it says: "There appears to be a configuration error. You have associated Konqueror with inode/directory, but it cannot handle this file type." ?????
    Should i have not mounted it? Should i have mounted it in another subdirectory? i'm trying to clone the first hard drive to the second one using the Mondo program, but first had to go through all of this in order to set up a second hard drive. This isn't quite as easy as Ghost, but so far it's almost more fun. Anybody have any ideas as to what went wrong?

Just Joined!
    Can you see the contents of the mounted drive from the command line?
    Code:
    ls -la /new_hd/hdb1
    Also it might help if you post the contents of your /etc/fstab file here.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by timelord50
    Can you see the contents of the mounted drive from the command line?
    I don't think there will be much to see in a newly partitioned drive. Better would be the following:
    Code:
    mount    <-to see if it is actually mounted
    df /dev/hdb1   <-shows disk size, space useage and mount point
    Quote Originally Posted by frazelle09
    ...wiped out the Windows partition using MCC and set up a FS Ext3 partition
    I'm not familiar with MCC: after the partition was created, are you sure that the partition was formatted? You should not be able to mount an unformatted filesystem.

So what scary messages did the "Wizard" have? I'm not sure, but I think you could just copy your system from one drive to the other using 'cp -a' and then of course making adjustments in fstab and the bootloader. I've done that on a small Slackware system.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Seeing new hd in Konqueror

Thanks guys! i figured out i could run just "df", did so, and came up w / the following:
    Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda1             2.0G  691M  1.2G  38% /
    /dev/hdb1             6.0G   33M  5.6G   1% /new_hd
    /dev/hda6             9.6G  1.2G  8.0G  13% /usr
    Does this help? It looks like it's indeed mounted; i'm happy to have learned a new command, too. i think the thing with Konq. is common to looking at all my directories and subdir. bec. when i click on each dir. in Kong, it gives me the same msg. However i can't copy anything to the new_hd from w/in Kong. -- it gives me a Permissions msg.; but anyway since i can see it and it appears mounted my next question is what changes would i have to make in fstab and bootloader? if i just do a cp -a from one hd to the second one? and will this copy correctly sized partitions and the few pieces of software progs. we've downloaded?
    Thanks again for all your help! and have a nice day!