Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, have used proxy settings whitelist in Moz 1.6 or Konqueror to restrict surfing for young kids which works fine. Problem is that links from those "accepted " sites are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

need proxy advice

OK, have used proxy settings whitelist in Moz 1.6 or Konqueror to restrict surfing for young kids which works fine. Problem is that links from those "accepted " sites are blocked and rapidly becomes apparent that it would take too long to list all allowable links.

1. Is there a way to set proxy to allow links from accepted sites?

2. Tried to install DansGuardian. Long story short, I trashed my urpmi and perl files. Tried to delete and reinstall urpm and perl......no luck so finally reinstalled OS (thankfully saved /home part).
    3. Now leary of installing DansG so installed SquidGuard successfully, but fairly lost about the whole config thing. I guess I'll figure it out, but how do I access it from :
    GUI?
    CL?
    Is it built into mozilla?
    i don't see it on menu

4. Any thoughts on Squid, SquidGuard, DansGuardian. From what I've read, I like the idea of content filtering in DG.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    I suggest you stop just using a browser localized privacy tool (as those things are often unreliable) and use a system-wide one. I don't know of that many options, never had to worry about that kind of thing myself. A pricey but workable option would be smooth guardian. But I mean pricey. http://www.smoothwall.net/products/smoothguardian

Dansguardian is certainly prestigious from what I've heard, you might want to get a seasoned linux pro in to install it, or at least be more specific in what your problems with it were when posting. Mandriva is pretty buggy when it comes to installations, but things can be made to work.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a trust-based privacy tool which extends trusts multiple hops past "base" trusted sites, would be great if there was, but even if there was, context is everything. Just because the BBC is a good site doesn't mean the sites it links to are.