Find the answer to your Linux question:
To all, I need help. I downloaded the free version of Mandriva 10.1 the Limited Edition version (the three CD's) and have installed it on this laptop: IBM ThinkPad 770 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Not getting GUI after install

To all,

I need help. I downloaded the free version of Mandriva 10.1 the Limited Edition version (the three CD's) and have installed it on this laptop:

IBM ThinkPad 770
    234 MHZ Pentinum
    256K RAM
    8 gig HD

Installation went smoothly, until I had to configure the monitor. I tried my best to choose the right one, but I think it didn't get the right information since after I configured the monitor, the took the boot disc out, rebooted and it came up with the login screen, no GUI screen.

I read on other forums the you need to try these:

Type: startx - didn't work
    Type: kde - didn't work
    Type: startx - gnome session - didn't work

Everytime I ran these I got this error msg:

Module Loader present
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting.
    (**) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xrg.O.log", Time: Sat Sept 10 06:42:01 2005
    (==) using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    Using vt 7
    (EE) failed to load module "/user/X11R6/Lib/modules/extensions/Libx.a" (once-only module, 136033795)

(EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

So then I ran the xorgconfig command and it walked me through that. I again ran into problems since I don't know the exact refresh rate or specs on the LCD for this laptop. I read all the fricking manuals, and all the info that came with the laptop and couldn't find the information I was looking for.

Hopefully, someone can help me. . .

Late

p.s. I also read that the cd's needed to be burned at only 4X, so I'm re-burning those to see if that has anything to with what's failing here.

Just Joined!

Same problem

I have this same problem, cant seem to figure it out. then again im a linux noob. Any help with this topic would be helpful. Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    I haven't installed Mandriva in a while, but if I remember correctly, there's a generic LCD monitor option available when you choose your monitor. You should probably try that one.

You might need to run the xorgconfig command again and go with some "easy on the monitor" settings until you can determine the exact settings for your setup. If it helps any, my monitor is the LCD type (but not a laptop) with these specs:

horiz: 30-81
    vert: 56-75

Just Joined!
    thanks for your help.

I'll try different settings and see what I come up with and let you know.

out

Just Joined!
    Alright here's what I did that worked:

I actually re-burned all three cd's at 4X. While those were being burned, I tried several different config settings for my monitor to no avail. I also checked this site and got some useful information:

Wiki

When the cd's were ready, I started the re-install and went through the process. I also googled to try and find the iformation for my thinkpad and what I was possibly missing. I checked out this site:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30

Got the specs for my video card while the installation was completing and realized that I had used the wrong setting and the wrong video card during the previous installation. I'm thinking that was the issue as to why the GUI was not coming up.

So now I have the full GUI working and my Mandriva is up and running at last!!!!

I'm so excited. . .

Thanks again for your help, I'll be lurking around to try and help others and post any issues I might run into. Thanks again for your input!!

late

Just Joined!
    Run the commnad 'XFdrake' (no quotes, as root) to access the Mandrake graphical config program - it should be able to auto-detect your video card and monitor for you.

http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandriv...l/xfdrake.html