Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was able to install (with seemingly 85% success) the Mandriva LE2005 distro (i586). It comes from www.osdisc.com . While I was monitoring the install, there were times when the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva LE2005 CD Install with glitches

I was able to install (with seemingly 85% success) the Mandriva LE2005 distro (i586). It comes from www.osdisc.com. While I was monitoring the install, there were times when the CD Drive would slow to a crawl and a package being loaded would stop. In fact, the CD would crawl along for 15 minutes before the installer would declare an error with the package at the time. I suspect that the CD in question had a defect (although a visual inspection revealed a pristine surface). It happened about five times, one of them being a fonts package.

Now, when I try to start up a package I installed after the Mandriva LE2005, it declares those fonts are necessary and shuts down immediately. The computer runs everything else without a hitch, but I'd like to see about installing those packages that didn't quite make it.

1) Is there a file somewhere on the drive that reports the success (and failures) of the distro install? Where could I find such a file?
    2) Can I utilize the "Easy Urpmi" webpages to correct those packages that didn't properly install?

It sounds like your disks were corrupted when they were burnt, or were burnt using a corrupted iso. Either way, I'd get back to the place where you brought them from and start asking questions.

Now, for the urpmi stuff, follow these instructions, and run the urpmi program from terminal like so:
    Code:
    su -
    <enter root pass>
    urpmi program_name
    Or you could use Mandrake's online updater to try and fix those problems MCC -> Mandrake Online Update (from memory).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Thanks for your help

I took your advice and sent the original request for help to the OSDisc people. Maybe they can help. When I get the glitch cleared out, I'll try your Urpmi site too. Thanks!

as long as the system can boot, there's no harm trying out the urpmi site and/or using Mandrake's online update feature.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.