Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed a copy of Mandrake for my AMD64 3400+ laptop. Everything seems to work well except that the operating system is not allowing the software to downgrade the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with Power Saving Feature for AMD 64 Notebook

I just installed a copy of Mandrake for my AMD64 3400+ laptop. Everything seems to work well except that the operating system is not allowing the software to downgrade the processor speed to 800 Mhz during normal usage.

This is a big problem because the laptop is now running very hot during word processing and simple tasks like typing here. Does anybody know how to correct this problem?

~Lyuokdea

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't think 64 bit CPUs are fully supported yet.

Just Joined!
    I'm running the 64 bit edition, but regardless, I don't need the 64 bit support, I just need support for the processor to downspeed when the full Processing power is not necessary. Just the same as most Intel Pentium M's do and such.

~Lyuokdea

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok, looking at the problem, I believe I need to switch my CPU driver over to a different version and then check the kernel to make sure that CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is enabled.

Currently when I run
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
    which is the full speed for the CPU.

And when I run:
    cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/info
    processor id: 0
    acpi id: 1
    bus mastering control: yes
    power management: no
    throttling control: no
    limit interface: no

So it is obvious that throttling control is currently not running. My question is two fold, first, how do check and possibly change the driver for the processor, I tried using harddrake, but didn't find any configuration module for the processor driver. Also, how do I enable throttle control if the processor driver is correct?

Thanks for your help,

~Lyuokdea