Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I don't know if anybody else has had a problem similar to this, but, I'm running a Uniwill Laptop with an AMD64 processor with the latest AMD64 version of Mandriva. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Shutdown Problem

I don't know if anybody else has had a problem similar to this, but, I'm running a Uniwill Laptop with an AMD64 processor with the latest AMD64 version of Mandriva. I am having a problem with the OS completely shutting down. When watching the shutdown in verbose mode, the last thing I read says that the HDD is shuting down, and by listening to the case, I can tell that the HDD is indead stopping. But it will not shut down the rest of the system, and I have to resort to using the power button.

I'm not sure if there is a power off mode that I need to change in the configuration to get it to completely shut down, or if there is something wrong with my system, does anybody have any experience with this?

~Lyuokdea

Just Joined!

Shutdown!!!

UNIX was not made to be shut down, but if you really must, use the shutdown command. After completing the shutdown procedure, the -h option will halt the system, while -r will reboot it.

The reboot and halt commands are now able to invoke shutdown if run when the system is in runlevels 1-5, and thus ensure proper shutdown of the system,but it is a bad habit to get into, as not all UNIX/Linux versions have this feature.

If your computer does not power itself down, you should not turn off the computer until you see a message indicating that the system is halted or finished shutting down, in order to give the system the time to unmount all partitions. Being impatient may cause data loss.

Be kool !

It is the same with Mandrake 10.1 too; which I used to use earlier.

Do you have ACPI enabled/configured?

make shure that you dont have acpi and apm booth running if you have one and not the other try the other or none ,but the correct choice is most likely acpi being that it is a newer system (check what is supported in the bios just to make shure)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Guru
    try editng the line acpi=on (pr whatever is says) to acpi=force in /etc/lilo.conf. Make sure to run
    Code:
    lilo -v
    to enable the changes.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    ok, I looked at /etc/lilo.conf and there is no mention of acpi whatsoever, and when I try to add the line, lilo -v fails because acpi= is unrecognized. Any other ideas?

~Lyuokdea

Just Joined!
    I noticed an error during the shutdown operation that may be causing the problem, I'm not exactly sure what the error means, so if somebody could tell me, I would much appreciate it.

the following lines appear three times:

hdc drive_cmd status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComputer Error}
    hdc drive_cmd error=0x04 {Aborted Command}
    ide failed opcode was: 0xec

Then the last two commands I read are:

md: md0 switched to read-only mode
    Shutdown: hda

I assume that maybe what is happening next is that hdc is trying to shutdown and failure due to the earlier failure, can anybody confirm or deny this?

~Lyuokdea

Linux Guru
    Here is the line from my file
    Code:
    append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent"
    You should be able to change the value of acpi or add it there.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Maybe I missed it somewhere but what is the latest release. If your talking about 2006 then it is still in beta yet and I would wait till 2006final is released. If it is 2005LE I had the same problem my motherboard uses ACPI so I had to install ACPI packages and select start at boot in control center/system/services then it shutdown like it should have.If the packages are not there editing lilo probably is not going to do S**T

Just Joined!

Shutdown problem

I got the same shutdown problem with Mandriva 10.1, then 10.2.
    I used to think it was a kernel issue with some motherboards, foir it was generally solved when I installed a new kernel version. But today, I have just upgraded from 10.2 to 2006 RC2 and the shutdown problem was back. I could even read some messages about my USB flash drives after the system halt messages.
    So, as I didn't want to wait for a new kernel version again, I googled your answer, Jeremy, and I can say you are a Linux guru!
    I did exactly what you said; I replaced:
    append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7 splash=silent"
    wth:
    append="acpi=force resume=/dev/hda7 splash=silent"
    I ran lilo -v too, but the machine needs to be restarted once in order to have the new parameters loaded.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast