Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to install Perl v5.8.6 on 10.1 official? Every time I install v5.8.6 I loose vi, Mandrake Control Center, and lots of other stuff and have to roll ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Perl v5.8.6 on 10.1 official

Is it possible to install Perl v5.8.6 on 10.1 official? Every time I install v5.8.6 I loose vi, Mandrake Control Center, and lots of other stuff and have to roll back to Perl v5.8.5 to get things working again. The thing is, I need v5.8.6 for XMLTV. Can Perl v5.8.6 be installed on 10.1 official?

Linux Guru
    You should be able to install it. Rather then updating with an RPM, try installing the source yourself. Then add the path, etc... You'll have two commands, one perl and the other perl-5.7.6. Link XMLTV to that.

BTW... I have XMLTV working with the default perl. Why do you need to upgrade?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Yes, you're right. I thought 5.8.6 was required because every time I installed something from Mandrake Control Center (Freevo, XMLTV) it was dragging along Perl v5.8.6 and wrecking my system. I have downloaded xmltv from SourceForge and am making and installing individually.

Just Joined!
    I thought 5.8.6 was required because every time I installed something from Mandrake Control Center (Freevo, XMLTV) it was dragging along Perl v5.8.6 and wrecking my system
    It sounds like you've got repositories setup for a different version of Mandrake then. Goto easyurpmi and get the repos for your version and it should stop doing that.

Just Joined!
    I now have all the required perl modules and so the software (IVTV, XMLTV) is working with v5.8.5.

In general, is it better to use Mandrake Control Center where possible, or is it a case of "it depends"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbjava
    In general, is it better to use Mandrake Control Center where possible, or is it a case of "it depends"
    That's a toughie. Up till now, I'd would've said hands down MCC. But lately, I've been having major issues such as what you describe above. I guess it's up to you. I've found so long as it doens't involve Perl you should be okay.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    While nothings perfect I'd say definately the Mandrake Control Centre, personally I haven't had any troubles with it. Only when its not there go for a different way of installing.