Find the answer to your Linux question:
helloooo every body how y'all doin folks i have some problem with mandriva 2006 beta if i try to install something .tar.gz and extarct it start write the command line ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with mandriva 2006 beta

helloooo every body how y'all doin folks
    i have some problem with mandriva 2006 beta if i try to install something
    .tar.gz and extarct it start write the command line in terminal like ./configure when i write make there is messeg apper to me say that u have must install automake i search about this package but i didn't found it and maybe if i fix it will ask me about auto config like that same proble, which happen with my friend is there is any one tell me how to solve this problem
    thnx!!!!!!!!!!!

you should be able to install a package called `make` via the mandriva controle center, or in the command line with
    Code:
    urpmi make
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Why do you people even bother with problems with Mandriva, Xandros, Lindows, etc? If they can't provide a pretty easy to use gui with no problems then they have failed, considering what market they cater to, plus you pay for it. This is pathetic. Joe User shouldn't have to install Make or **** with apt-get to get his system running if he's PAID BIG BUCKS for a linux distribution that's SUPPOSED to work perfect and make linux work for the average guy. This is THE problem if we ever want Linux to gobble up more market share! The money is in the morons who think AOL invented the internet and don't know what the hell a terminal is.
    I'm sorry if I got a little angry there but my patience is much lower for these distros that promise the ease and useability of windows but where you have to run apt-get and alsaconf to get the sound working on some guys machine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Why do you people even bother with problems with Mandriva, Xandros, Lindows, etc?
    you pay for it.
    I've been using Mandriva all my linux life, and I've never paid a penny for it. A quick look at the xandros page suggests that there's a free version of that, too.

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

And it's hardly suprising that there a some bugs in a beta version - no-one ever claimed that this version is suitable for the average user

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm just saying that almost always the better distros aren't Xandros, Mandriva or Lindows. Xandros is okay, but there are so many issues many users have had with Mandriva and Lindows. If they actually did what they promised then why are there so many dire "HELP ME NOW!!!" posts in their support forums??? I can see that you may have some problems setting up some devices, but with these distributions you need to make things as easy as possible for the users. As I said before, if terminal access is required to do something then in this catagory the distribution has failed.

Just Joined!
    I'm just saying that almost always the better distros aren't Xandros, Mandriva or Lindows. Xandros is okay, but there are so many issues many users have had with Mandriva and Lindows. If they actually did what they promised then why are there so many dire "HELP ME NOW!!!" posts in their support forums??? I can see that you may have some problems setting up some devices, but with these distributions you need to make things as easy as possible for the users. As I said before, if terminal access is required to do something then in this catagory the distribution has failed.
    There is no such thing as a perfect Linux distro - look in any of the forums of this site and there's "HELP ME NOW' posts in every forum for every distro out there. As for terminal access you don't need it - there's a software installation GUI in the Mandrake Control Centre which is more than I can say for a lot of supposedly desktop distros, *cough* Fedora *cough*.

Anyway this thread is started by someone who's 1) using a beta version 2) trying to compile things from source. No wonder he has to use a terminal.