Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need some help installing drivers for my printer. I'd like to warn you I'm new to linux. I have located the drivers from canon japan at the following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install drivers for my cannon ip4000?

Hi,
    I need some help installing drivers for my printer. I'd like to warn you I'm new to linux.

I have located the drivers from canon japan at the following site:
    ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

The three rpm's that it seems I need are:
    bjfilter-common-2.50-2.i386.rpm
    bjfilter-pixusip4100-2.50-2.i386.rpm
    bjfilter-pixusip4100-lprng-2.50-2.i386.rpm

However, when I attempt to install the rpm's I run into the following problem:
    [root@localhost ronlondre]# rpm -i bjfilter-common-2.50-2.i386.rpm bjfilter-pixusip4100-2.50-2.i386.rpm bjfilter-pixusip4100-lprng-2.50-2.i386.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libpng.so.2 is needed by bjfilter-pixusip4100-2.50-2

Then, when I look for "libpng.so.2" on the ftp site I can't find it. I have discovered that the ubuntu community has successfully been able to install the drivers, and without "libpng.so.2". See this link for a reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=38995

However, I realize that mandriva is not a debian based distro. Therefore, the "how to" is not going to work for me. Furthermore, as I stated earlier I am a newbie to linux.
    So the information available on the ubuntu forum is not sufficient enough in order for me to figure out how to install the drivers in mandriva.

Could someone please walk me through this. I really would like to install the drivers so I can print.

Just Joined!
    Well,
    I've figured it out.

If anyone is interested in installing the drivers for a Canonn PIXIMA here's how:
    go to the cannon japan ftp site: ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
    There you will find drivers for the canon PIXIMA ip3000, ip4000, ip8500, and some others.
    You will need to download the 3 rpms you need.
    You will also need to download a third rpm from here:
    ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/....18-2.i386.rpm

Becareful the last rpm is for fedora core, however, it worked for me.
    Install all four at the same time and you should be in luck.

One issue though, you need to configure your printer when ever you'd like to switch between the trey and the topload paper location.

If anyone knows how to configure the printer so that I can select the button configuration please let me know! It would be a great bonus. Right now it only gives me two choices. Some how turbo print for linux has figured out how.