Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi i just did an upgrade on my Mandriva box, it was runing as a console/shell box, now that i'v upgraded the mainbaord/cpu/ram/gfx and did a reinstall i'v now got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

changeing window mangers ??

hi
    i just did an upgrade on my Mandriva box, it was runing as a console/shell box, now that i'v upgraded the mainbaord/cpu/ram/gfx and did a reinstall i'v now got the window manger up as (i think its) x-window. any idead on how to get to to kde or genome ???

Type startx

It should work, but I've had problems with that in the past.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    i can't type startx because it's already in x and if i ctrl+alt+backspace it just comes back to the x login screen.

Not sure I understand properly then. When you install you get an option to start up in GUI mode. If you aren't completely in a gui you might try typing exit to bring you back to a log-in with an option for Gnome or KDE.

I've never had X running outside of a GUI environment

EDIT: Also read this - about the startkde script.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    i am in some sort of x envirmunt that i can't get out of, there are no options to change to genome or kde, just has a login screen. and typeing exit in to the console just kills the consle window

Try typing startkde

Anyone else help with this please?

Just Joined!
    right i'v managed to get out of that windows enviroment and drop it to a console boot (used te command XFdrake) now i dont think i got kde installed (startkde dose not exeist)

What happens when you restart the computer
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Just Joined!
    i get the "console" loging screen, if i log in and typr startx i get some windows manger that i dnt know what is it, if i type startkde i get startkde not found

Just a suggestion. You might need to reinstall Mandriva and select to option to install KDE. I have an idea that your system is booting into Fluxbox or Blackbox, though I don't know ... sounds interesting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast