Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good day all. I seem to be having troubles with read/write access to my FAT32 partition. It is hdb1 and is mounted on /mnt/win_c2/ by default in Mandriva. It's not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

unable to write to some FAT32 directories (really weird)

Good day all.

I seem to be having troubles with read/write access to my FAT32 partition. It is hdb1 and is mounted on /mnt/win_c2/ by default in Mandriva. It's not that I don't have write access, because I do. But only to certain directories. I'm going to tell you the symptoms as they happen.

I'm using Madriva 2005 LE. I'm logged in as a regular user (i.e., not root).

• I am now going to /mnt/win_c2/downloads/ and I'm trying to make a directory.
      Code:
      dr-xr-xr-x  15 root root   32768 Aug 30 23:31 downloads/
    • I try to create a text file called test. I get a dialogue box that says "Access denied. Could not write to /mnt/win_c2/downloads/test."
    • -So, instead, I try to open I file I put there when I last booted to windows. It's called "New Text Document.txt".
    • I type in "asdf" and hit save. It says it saves properly. I close it, and reopen the file. "asdf" is displayed. (So, I have right access).
    • But I still can't create any files, or directories.
    • But if I browse to /mnt/win_c2/html/sandbox/ I can create files, folders, and edit all of them.
      Code:
      drwxrwxrwx  17 root root 32768 Aug 25 19:08 sandbox/

It seems to me that after a while I get write access to any directory that I've modified a file to. So in a couple days I'll likely have write access to my downloads directory. But right now, I can't.

Any idea? Thanks.

Re: unable to write to some FAT32 directories (really weird)

Code:
    dr-xr-xr-x  15 root root   32768 Aug 30 23:31 downloads/
    You cannot write to this directory because you do not have write access.

Code:
    drwxrwxrwx  17 root root 32768 Aug 25 19:08 sandbox/
    Everybody has write access to this directory.

If you want to "fix" it, and make it like 'sandbox', become root and issue the command:
    Code:
    chmod 777 /mnt/win_2c/downloads