Find the answer to your Linux question:
Mandrake sucks. I began as a Linux user two years ago on MDK 9.1. I remember how horrible it was. The other day I decided to give Mandriva 2005 Limited ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva still sucks...?

Mandrake sucks.

I began as a Linux user two years ago on MDK 9.1. I remember how horrible it was.

The other day I decided to give Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition and once again, in my opinion it's horrible.

In order to even install Mandriva *successfully*, I have to use the alt2 kernel alongside a pletheora of other options. Otherwise the installer stalls shortly after I'm done with package selection.

I've also noticed too much rushing will just simply kill the installer.

Furthermore, I've installed Mandriva 9 times now and I can't even use it. As soon as KDM loads the entire operating system freezes, leaving me with no other option but to kill the system. I've done everything possible, this problem just isn't fixable. This is the first distrobution to just outright not work at all on my system.

I'm beginning to become weary of the 2.6.x series. It seems every time I've used it on my PC there's always been some sort of problem; the system stalls, or something isn't detected, or the mouse just decides to die seconds after a fresh installation. The 2.4.x has NEVER had any of these problems on my system, and this baffles me because my hardware is fairly new. AMD64, 1GB RAM, SATA, etc.

Either way, I just needed to vent about how angry this distrobution makes me. How do you people stand using RPM as a means of "package management?" Dependencies alone are enough to drive you mad, let alone the slowness and instability of RPM packages themselves.

I should've known Mandriva could never replace Slackware.

Linux Engineer
    Distros don't change much..
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Re: Mandriva still sucks...?

Quote Originally Posted by Social Burn
    How do you people stand using RPM as a means of "package management?" Dependencies alone are enough to drive you mad, let alone the slowness and instability of RPM packages themselves.
    urpmi? I mean I've gone off Mandriva a good bit, but come on seriously. Urpmi melts any dependency awareness, let alone make it troublesome. And you have the best repositories of any distro outside of Debian. MCC is a great tool too. I think where Mandriva falls down is that it can be sloppy, and certainly KDE looks a lot more patchy on Mandriva than on anything else I've used. I think the graphics are the real problem in general with Mandriva. That big bastid penguin with starry eyes on the Bootloader...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: Mandriva still sucks...?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Quote Originally Posted by Social Burn
    How do you people stand using RPM as a means of "package management?" Dependencies alone are enough to drive you mad, let alone the slowness and instability of RPM packages themselves.
    urpmi? I mean I've gone off Mandriva a good bit, but come on seriously. Urpmi melts any dependency awareness, let alone make it troublesome. And you have the best repositories of any distro outside of Debian. MCC is a great tool too. I think where Mandriva falls down is that it can be sloppy, and certainly KDE looks a lot more patchy on Mandriva than on anything else I've used. I think the graphics are the real problem in general with Mandriva. That big bastid penguin with starry eyes on the Bootloader...
    Forunately we'll get rid of that big bastid penguin with starry eyes on the bootloader with Mandriva 2006.

Just Joined!
    I should've known Mandriva could never replace Slackware. Laughing
    One thing I've never understood is why Slackware users are so critical of packaging systems which have depedencies. Slackware packages have dependencies too, but you have to work them out manually. To me that seems great if you're interested in tinkering and working out how the system works, but if you just want to use the computer and install stuff easily you can't go past urpmi or yast or yum or apt or portage etc.

Much like "Microsoft Sucks", or any other "XXXXX sucks" threads, I can't let this one continue, as it just opens up the floodgates for a potential flamewar. Locked.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants