Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a Mustek BearPaw 4800 TA scanner and i wanted to connect it to my new mandrake 10.1 however after i connected, computer said that this model is not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

scanner not supported?!

i have a Mustek BearPaw 4800 TA scanner and i wanted to connect it to my new mandrake 10.1 however after i connected, computer said that this model is not supported. so what can i do?

Linux User

Support

I think your scanner is supported...

Do you have installed xsane? and sane-utils? Well...

Probably your scanner is marked in sane as a gt68xx scanner, because many scanner uses the same chip to cummincate with computer. However you need a firmware wich can be used by sane backends... this file (named like PS1fw.usb... that's mine) can be retrieved from the windows system directory when you have installed your scanner driver in windows. You have to copy it in a particoular location...

You should run sane-find-scanner to know if your scanner is supported, then run your sane frontend from console... it will stops, telling you where to copy your firmware file...

Pay attention: it's not sure you need a firmware, and I'm not sure that your scanner is effectively supported...
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

Just Joined!

Mustek scanner

I have a BearPaw 1200 CS and I had a lot of troubles to configurate it under linux, but I've found the way...There is a firmware to download: if you go to xsane page, you will find a link that takes you to the page where you can find your firmware, in Microtek website...After you add it manually (where you want) in Mandrake control...With mine, l've resolved in this way and now it works...