Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed mandrake 10.1 from 5 cds unto a partition that is not shared by my windows xp. everything went smooth in the installation as I can tell. when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newb mandrake 10.1

I installed mandrake 10.1 from 5 cds unto a partition that is not shared by my windows xp.
    everything went smooth in the installation as I can tell.
    when I rebooted i chose linux from the OS screen, everything loads and then the screen goes black. keyboard turns off, only my mouse and HD are working. I tried rebooting but same thing happens.

I did see at the boot screen pppoe failed and something "starting failed" , could that be the reason?

im running mandrake 10.1
    amd-64
    nvidia geforce-2
    512ddr
    10gb partition to win xp
    40gb partition to linux

please help.

Just Joined!

1 question

I fixed the problem, it was my video card. took it out and enabled on board and everything showed.

at the login screen it ask for a localhost login and password.
    I dont remember making one during installation, how do I bypass this screen?

Linux Newbie

login

I think you may be in single user mode. Google for more info. Still learning myself but setup asks for root user password. If you did not setup root password or user / password during install, then try one of these:

type "root"
    then hit enter

or type "su"
    hit enter

If you set a password then there may be a way to retrieve it but I can't help.

Good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close