Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, My first post. I recently installed Mandriva LE on my new Inspiron 6000 with Intel® PRO 2915 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards. I added the module ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intel Pro 2915 wireless set up on Inspiron 6000 running Mandriva LE

Hello Everyone,
    My first post.
    I recently installed Mandriva LE on my new Inspiron 6000 with Intel® PRO 2915 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards.
    I added the module needed for the wireless card through the MandrakeLinux Control Center. But, when I do a iwconfig I still get the following output -
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

I have a WEP d-link 624. How do I connect to this device? I installed wi-fi radar and got that working but the no wireless extensions doesn't let it find any available networks.
    Do I just need to do some basic stuff with ethup? What am I missing? Mandriva seems to *know* about the wireless card, listed the right module for me to pick and everything.

Helppppppp!
    - abir

i would guess that the card requires some firmware to run, see this post: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-48999.html follow link at end of post for ipw related stuff and get the firmware from there.

Oh, and please don't double post.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Ok. I followed the tips on that link and installed the firmware. But, still no internet. iwconfig gives the detail on my wireless card now whereas before it didn't, so that is good.
    Can't ping anything except localhost, just gives me a host unreachable.
    Says eth2 is up when I connect through point and click.

I can connect just fine wirelessly from my windows machine so i know for sure it isn't an issue with my wireless router.

Here is some diagnostic stuff -

[abir]# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

eth2 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"ThankYou" Nickname:"localhost"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:13:46:B7:F2:18
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:<snipped> Security mode:open
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=94/100 Signal level=-18 dBm Noise level=-86dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:4 Missed beacon:1

sit0 no wireless extensions.

----

[abir]# ifup eth2
    Determining IP information for eth2... done.
    ---
    What is the basic procedure to connect through command line to wireless networks? is wep the issue? i already put my wep key in and everything.
    I used verbose mode during boot up to make sure eth2 was being brought up okay, no problems there. what am i missing???
    i just don't get it.

- abir

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    what you posted shows that driver and firmware is loaded and the card is connecting to the Access Point. What you need to do now is this: Goto the MCC's network card settings page. select your wireless card and under the gateway heading, enter the address of your AP.

Just Joined!
    holy sh*t man!!! it worked!!! i am wireless!!! hell yeah!!! you rule dude!!!

I swear I was about to go back to windows over this little thing. I even got out my xp install cd and everything... woulda prolly dual booted, put waaay too much effort into getting my system where it is now to just scrap it

okokok. so, this works fine and dandy at home. how is this going to work in hotspots where i will not know their wireless router ip address?

and, also, my eth0, regular wired fails to bring up during boot, but that is only because i have disconnected the wire. how do i get it to know not to try to bring up eth0 at boot up since it is unplugged?

thanks again man.

Well, I am glad you got the wireless working, now the answers to your other questions:

1. For wireless hotspots, I guess you'll have to ask them nicely to tell you the address of the AP. You could also download a piece of software known as KWifiManager. It allows you to store some number of wireless profiles and the like, but currently it doesn't support wpa encryption.

2. Hmm, its been a long time since I used 10.1, but what I would do is goto the network config section of MCC and goto the coonfiguration for the wired card. Here, look for some menu or option which specifies when the card is brought up. Select an option similar to "On Cable Connection" or "manually" to bring up the wired card.

Just Joined!
    got it. disabled my eth0 detection at boot up. easy.

Ok, so I've been using the system configuration tool to change my network settings, doing system stuff in general. I will quit and exit normally. And, then every so often during the same session if I need to use it again it makes like it is coming up... but, then disappears... nothing.
    Why?

What am I breaking when I use it?

On boot up I get a "No UPS definitions found in UPS.conf" - maybe that has something to do with it?

Is this just a weird bug with the configuration tool in Mandriva LE 05?

I tried running $drakconf - that still seems to be fine. that is just starting the same tool from the command line, i think? hmmm? weird.

any ideas why system config tool is moody like this? Also, I can't bring up other stuff when this happens. Like if I try to bring up a console I get a "KDEInit could not launch konsole' error message. weird.

yeah, mandriva can be a bit funny about launching MCC multiple times during same session. I used to get that a lot in Mandrake 8, but very few times in 10.1. usually launching from terminal seemed to fix whatever problem it was having.

UPS is Uninterruptible Power Supply, basicially a big battery which sits between the computer and powerpoint, if power goes down, then UPS kicks in. If you don't have one, then disable it.