Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Its been three days that I have intalled Mandrake 10.1. So, I am a newbie to linux and learning it. I have a problem relating root privilages. I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Assign root privilages to a normal user accout

Hi,

Its been three days that I have intalled Mandrake 10.1. So, I am a newbie to linux and learning it.

I have a problem relating root privilages. I want root privilage to my account.

I have read lot that you should "never" login to root. You can damage it etc.

But as I am learning linux and I don't realy bother to install to 100 times (if i damage it)

So, can anyone please tell me how to give root privilages to a user on Mandrake 10.1

I am tired to typng the root password again and again, more that 20 times withing a hour. So please help me.

I have tried going "Configure you Computer" > "System" > "User and Groups

and changed the permission from there as "root" (i mean changing the group to "root") but it doesnot work.

Also, I am able to assign any group from my account (doesn't it require any root permisions), but that is another story that it did show changed group but it does not work.

So, anyone know how to do it.

Banned

Re: Assign root privilages to a normal user accout

Since you 're saying your trying to learn something, what you're trying to do is more than just a bad idea, It's insecure, unsafe, and doesn't make sense.

If you want full root privileges, simply login as root and destroy your system like that without ever having to use a password.

PS: Why being so cruel towards your system?

Just Joined!
    Well, thanks for the reply,

I don't want to login as root because I have "decorated" my destop a lot, customized my menu etc.

Thats why I thought that it will nice if I can root privaleg on my existing account.

And, by learning I mean, I install software (and I get lot of dependency errors) and to resolve, I need to install the dependcies etc...

All that this need root privilage.

It even asks me the root passwod to connect to internet (i have ADSL PPPoE)

So, Can it be done in Linux, (Mandrake 10.1)

or

I have to login as root.

PS: I am not being cruel... Till now, I not keeping any "important" data on linux.

So, I can safely "re-install" -- u don't like that idea?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    For tasks that you perform often as a user (and so long as you are comfortable with the risk) you might consider sudo. Have a look at the
    Code:
    man sudo
    pages.

Just Joined!
    And, by learning I mean, I install software (and I get lot of dependency errors) and to resolve, I need to install the dependcies etc...
    You should install software through the GUI in the Mandrake Control Centre, this will both ask you for the root password when you open it and will automatically resolve depdencies. Also go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org and setup access to the repositories, you will then have a lot more software than came on your 3 CDs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harry000
    PS: I am not being cruel... Till now, I not keeping any "important" data on linux.

Since you asked..., no.
    Linux is a multi user system (UNIX-style).
    It's much more important to learn this first (including how to change permissions).

Just Joined!
    I would have to agree with jens. The great thing about linux is the way the system is altered by the user. The entire system is based on file (and other) permissions based on the user account, which is why linux systems tend to be very resistant to viruses. If you login with root privelages everytime, you eliminate that protection completely. Not only that, but as previously mentioned, if you accidently try to alter something important when trying to figure out a feature, there's no stopping you. Take it from someone who knows only enough to be dangerous...to himself, staying logged in with those privelages isn't a good idea, especially when you're just learning the OS.

Scott

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harry000
    Well, thanks for the reply,

I don't want to login as root because I have "decorated" my destop a lot, customized my menu etc.

Thats why I thought that it will nice if I can root privaleg on my existing account.

All that this need root privilage.

It even asks me the root passwod to connect to internet (i have ADSL PPPoE)

So, Can it be done in Linux, (Mandrake 10.1)

or

I have to login as root.

Firstly Reinstallation is the worst solution to any problem in the world.
    Root access can be gained by su -. If you give yourself root previledges which is not the same as a windows admin, there is a 90% chance that you will screw your system by a typo or something, without even knowing that you did something.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page