Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello linux users, I have a dissapointing problem. When I goto boot mandrake, it scrolls all these settings down the screen with [OK] messages aside them however the boot freezes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot Freeze WHILE (Checking for New Hardware)

hello linux users, I have a dissapointing problem.

When I goto boot mandrake, it scrolls all these settings down the screen with [OK] messages aside them however the boot freezes where it gets tp the Checking For New Hardware stage, if I run "linux" from the bootloader it freezes roughly same time half way through the progress bar. Please help, any suggestions?

Just Joined!

Re: Boot Freeze WHILE (Checking for New Hardware)

Quote Originally Posted by Boom
    hello linux users, I have a dissapointing problem.

When I goto boot mandrake, it scrolls all these settings down the screen with [OK] messages aside them however the boot freezes where it gets tp the Checking For New Hardware stage, if I run "linux" from the bootloader it freezes roughly same time half way through the progress bar. Please help, any suggestions?
    check for any hardware which can interfere with it. new addes USB devices etc, or maybe any incompatible sound cards, network cards etc.

if you have installed any new hardware remove these first that could be the problem.

Just Joined!
    hi I forgot to mention its a completely new install, first time using linux on this computer so I have not suddenly plugged a new piece of hardware in, only usb device on my system would be my modem.

Mandrake: 10.1

Just Joined!
    Had the same problem, except on SUSE it came up with CRC error... only way I could fix was to turn off DMA on the harddrive.

No other ideas I am afraid

With Mandriva 10.1, I remember that the hardware check took nearly 30 minutes

Fortunately I had a very good book to wait (Terry Pratchett, you know that guy ? If you don't, you should ! Try "Good omens" for instance), and in the end of those 30 minutes, I discovered it was not a freeze but a bloody long wait.

Maybe you could try that too, give the system 30 minutes, even though that's illogical.