Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I bought an Acer 4021WNLCi notebook yesterday with following config: # IntelŪ PentiumŪ M processor 725 (2 MB L2 cache, 1.6 GHz, 400 MHz FSB) # IntelŪ 915GM Express ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.0 Install help reqd

Hi,

I bought an Acer 4021WNLCi notebook yesterday with following config:

# IntelŪ PentiumŪ M processor 725 (2 MB L2 cache, 1.6 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
    # IntelŪ 915GM Express chipset
    # Integrated IntelŪ PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection (dual-mode 802.11b/g)
    # 512 MB of DDR2 533 memory
    # IntelŪ 915GM integrated 3D graphics, featuring IntelŪ Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    # HDD 60 GB ATA/100

When installing Mandrake 9.0 came accross just one error, it does not detect the display card and monitor. As per the Acer resource CD i have 2 display drivers namely IntelŪ 915GM and IntelŪ 915GML (this i believe is for linux, couldn't find any information on the website though). Now my problem is installing or detecting this driver when installing the OS for the first time fresh. The list of xservers does not allow me to specify a driver from disk, how do I go around this problem. Although the OS installation completes somehow when I select i845 from the Intel but upon rebooting the GUI/xserver does not launch and I have to work in the dos like or character interface, although this is not too bad but I'd like to use the windowed interface also.

Pls help me resolve this issue, I am newbie and dont know much about changing config files.

FYI: HDD 60 GB is partitioned as follows

a. C: - Fat32; Win2k; 10G
    b. D: - Fat32; 30G
    c. Remaining data for Linux, approx 20G

Thx,

Dave

Mandake 9 is an OS getting somehow old now, and have you considered that hardware support for your brand new laptop might not be included ?

Would you expect windows 98 to recognize all your hardware ?

I suggest you try a more recent Mandriva version. Version 2006 (10.2) was just released for the Club members, but should be available in one week or two for the rest of us folks. Meanwhile, you can also try Mandriva 10.1 (2005LE), that might probably work.

About using the graphical interface : during the installation, even though your particular hardware was not found, have you tried telling Mandrake you had a generic monitor and display card ? That might work, even though you'll be stuck to low rez etcetera.

Just Joined!

thx for info

Thx Sabin for the info. I did try using a generic display adapter but that did not work. I wanted to use 10.2 in the first place but could not download it from the web site as it was inaccessible and neither was it available in nearby stores. Finally had to settle for 9.0 which i already had.

Found a web site to download 10.1 http://www.linuxiso.org/ will download, burn and try.

Thx,
    Dave

Hey, version 2006, based on 10.2, has just become available today for everyone and not only Club members, ain't that good news ? ^_^
    Find a .torrent version for even better speed, and help yourself