Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya guys. As a Mandriva user, i'm using the MCC to install and remove packages, I like that RPM way. But yet, that's slow, so when I know exactly what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Awkwardness with urpmi in the konsole

Hiya guys.

As a Mandriva user, i'm using the MCC to install and remove packages, I like that RPM way. But yet, that's slow, so when I know exactly what I want installed/removed i'd like to do it in the konsole.

However, I didn't find, even with Google, a short list of the konsole options for the urpmi command....

Would you mind if I ask just four questions ?

1/ is it possible to do a search for a name without having that package (if 1 occurency is found) automatically installed ? >_< No install, just show available programs for that name.

2/ is it possible to search for a package name, and to see only the descriptions (short or maximal) of the matching program names ? No auto-install, but instead loading the descriptions.

3/ how to uninstall a package through the console, what is the command ?

4/ concerning "dependency hell" : once I wanted to remove a single KDE program through MCC (because I had screwed, as root, that program's sytem files beyond repair), but that replied me that [half of KDE] should be removed alongside with it, as dependencies.
    I saw that there is a -force option for urpmi in the konsole, in order to ignore dependencies.
    So would it be possible, on the occasion, to "cheat" : uninstall a program ignoring its dependencies (that should have been removed too), and right after that install again a fine version of that same program ? Would the system work just fine, in your opinion ?

Thanks if you can reply

I would say that a simple man urpmi should answer those questions, but working from memory, I'll try answer them for you:

1. Take a look at urpmq (i think that is what it is called), iirc, basicially the q stands for query and will show packages without installing them.

2. No idea. but urpmi can handle generic names. e.g. typing urpmq or urpmi firefox will bring up a list e.g. mozilla-firefox-1.0.4 etc...

3. usually there is a -e option. Can't really remember exact syntax, but try urpmi -e package_name. e = erase (usually)

4. Usually, it should work.

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    1/ is it possible to do a search for a name without having that package (if 1 occurency is found) automatically installed ? >_< No install, just show available programs for that name.
    Code:
    urpmq packagename
    see man urpmq

2/ is it possible to search for a package name, and to see only the descriptions (short or maximal) of the matching program names ? No auto-install, but instead loading the descriptions.
    Code:
    urpmq package
    Code:
    urpmq -i packagename
    3/ how to uninstall a package through the console, what is the command ?
    Code:
    rpm -e packagename
    OR
    Code:
    urpme packagename
    4/ ..So would it be possible, on the occasion, to "cheat" : uninstall a program ignoring its dependencies (that should have been removed too), and right after that install again a fine version of that same program ? Would the system work just fine, in your opinion ?
    To remove:
    Code:
    rpm -e --nodeps packagename
    Reinstall the normal way with urpmi
    Code:
    urpmi packagename
    This should work - I've used it to get out of sticky situations several times before.

Linux Newbie

Konsole

This post really helped me and I didn't even ask the question, lol. I've really been trying to get the hang of the linux command line and I'm "starting" to get decent with it. I've pretty much mastered most basic commands like and the "basic" structure of how variables are added to those commands to change the effects of them. I have also noticed that by using urpmi you download it, guaranteeing that you get the newest version, when sometimes if you use the mcc you just install from the cds which can't guarantee what version you get.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser40351
    .... when sometimes if you use the mcc you just install from the cds which can't guarantee what version you get.
    If you use the add remove section of MCC, then it uses the cd's. But iirc, there is an Online Update section which allows you to get the latest programs from some Mandrake servers around the world.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Thanks TimeLord and AlexK, I can finally make do without using the MCC, as far as RPMs are concerned ^_^

Just Joined!

mandriva help rpmq firefox-1.0.7

I issue

Code:
    urpmq firefox -v -r
    and I get
    Code:
    urpmq firefox -v -r
    examining synthesis file &#91;/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation DownloadDVD &#40;cdrom1&#41;.cz&#93;
    examining synthesis file &#91;/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz&#93;
    Search
    no package named firefox
    The following packages contain firefox&#58;
    mozilla-firefox
    mozilla-firefox-af
    mozilla-firefox-br
    mozilla-firefox-ca
    mozilla-firefox-cs
    mozilla-firefox-da
    mozilla-firefox-de
    mozilla-firefox-devel
    mozilla-firefox-el
    mozilla-firefox-es
    mozilla-firefox-fi
    mozilla-firefox-fr
    mozilla-firefox-ga
    mozilla-firefox-he
    mozilla-firefox-hu
    mozilla-firefox-it
    mozilla-firefox-ja
    mozilla-firefox-ko
    mozilla-firefox-nb
    mozilla-firefox-nl
    mozilla-firefox-pl
    mozilla-firefox-pt
    mozilla-firefox-pt_BR
    mozilla-firefox-register
    mozilla-firefox-ro
    mozilla-firefox-ru
    mozilla-firefox-sk
    mozilla-firefox-sl
    mozilla-firefox-sv
    mozilla-firefox-tr
    mozilla-firefox-zh_CN
    mozilla-firefox-zh_TW
    Why can't I see the version number of thew software although I put -r ????

And how if I wanted to add an unofficial source (for instance because mandriva doesn't give fiirefox-1.0.7 instead only 1.0.2 ????

thanks

I'm a mandriva user and I can tell you that the rpm-available firefox is version 1.0.6, at least for the MDV2006.

Linux Newbie

The one that is in 2005 is 1.0.2, and it always says that even after you update to 1.0.7. It just adds the little message to the bottom of the "About Mozilla Firefox" help window that specifies it as being 1.0.7 instead of 1.0.2.