Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
it wont let me get to that part, the license agreement is the second step and it stops after that. is there any other way to partition and format?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

it wont let me get to that part, the license agreement is the second step and it stops after that. is there any other way to partition and format?

Quote Originally Posted by TaTonkax
    it wont let me get to that part
    Sorry, you'd said that already, and I should have realised.

There are other ways to do this. To do it for free, download the knoppix livecd and boot it up -- since it's a livecd it will run straight from the cd and won't install anything to your hard drive. From there, look for a program in the "start" menu (or whatever it's called in knoppix) called qtparted. qtparted is a free clone of Partition Magic, and can be used to reformat your drive. In fact you should use it to reformat, make a small swap partition, and format the rest as ext3.

Then boot up the Mandrake CD.

But, I am worried that there is something wrong with the Mandrake CD itself. Where did you get it?? Did you check the md5sum after you downloaded it?? The fact that it won't get past the license agreement is extremely suspicious and should be checked out......
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Re: Help installing mandrake 10.1

"An error occurred - no vaild devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."
    Are you using a sata harddrive?Is your cd-rom connected to the 1st IDE channel as master? did you check the md5sum of the iso before burning? Is there any warnings about the hard drive during bootup?

it wont let me get to that part, the license agreement is the second step and it stops after that. is there any other way to partition and format?
    Download knoppix and use the qtparted program on it to create partitions and format the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it's not possible to partition your disk in a way that linux would be happy with using the XP install disk. If it was then no one would buy Partition Magic!!!
    Heres a little tip the nice folks at Partition magic don't want you to know. You can use the XP install disk to create partitions, only during the install of XP. As long as you leave the 2nd partition unformatted, any linux can be installed on that without any troubles.

The reason why tools such as Partition Magic and QTParted are available is so that the hard-drive can be partitioned after the install of the OS.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    i got it from linux iso, and im not sure about paritioning, im a noob at this. like what partitions should i make

Say your drive is 40gigs,
    Make one partition 10 gigs, give it a mount point /. Think of this as your C: drive. format it as ext3
    Make another partition 29 gigs, give it a mount point /home. Think of this as your "My Documents" drive. Format it as ext3
    Make 1 more partition 1 gig, give it a mount point swap. format as linux swap.

Alternatively, you can just make 1 39 gig partition called / and have everything in there and a 1 gig swap partition.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    that last 1 a /swap or just swap

Re: Help installing mandrake 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it's not possible to partition your disk in a way that linux would be happy with using the XP install disk. If it was then no one would buy Partition Magic!!!
    Heres a little tip the nice folks at Partition magic don't want you to know. You can use the XP install disk to create partitions, only during the install of XP. As long as you leave the 2nd partition unformatted, any linux can be installed on that without any troubles.
    Good tip AlexK. I had no idea!!! So during the install of XP, you make a nice small NTFS partition to put XP on and leave the rest bare for a later linux installation?? Nice!

TaTonkax -- you should google around a bit on partitioning and installation. There are loads of different ways to do it, but you say your new at this, so here's a nice basic explanation.

Windows and linux cannot be installed on the same drive, so there are two options. One is to buy a new drive, but this may not be what you want. The other is to split your existing drive into 2 or more "fake" drives. These are known as partitions. One partition you install windows on, and another can be for linux.

Now both windows and linux can use the hard drive as RAM for memory intensive things, i.e. a certain amount of the hard drive is devoted to being fake RAM. In windows this is called the page file, and in linux it's called "swap". So you should also create a swap partition -- normally twice the size of your RAM up to a limit of 1GB.

You say you don't want to dual boot. If you're sure of this, then use qtparted to make a swap partition at the start of the drive, and make leave the rest empty for the linux installation. Most installations that I am aware of will take care of the formatting of this blank section and will install linux here.

OK??

EDIT:: I would recommend going with AlexK's last suggestion until you get the hang of things. A 1GB swap, and the rest "/"
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Just Joined!
    ok i got that, what is "md5sum"

ok i got that, what is "md5sum"
    Any time you download such a large file there is a small chance that there will be an error in the download. The md5sum is the result of running a test on the file you downloaded, and it will be 24 (I think) letters and numbers. You compare this with the md5sums given by the folks you're downloading it from and they should match. If not, you've got a bad download, and you should start again. If they match, you're good to go!!!!

Most of the time the md5sum file is included in the list of iso files you can download. Google around to get a free md5sum calculator for windows that you can use to check your downloads -- there are quite a few out there.

Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 support

I have installed 10.1 from a cd included with a Linux Format magazine.
    This was a flawless , easy and complete install.
    Now, I tried getting update info, and surprise!!!!!!!!! Mandrakesoft no longer exists in the internet. !!!!! none of the mandrakexxxx sites can be accessed, and only a verisign page comes up with the message the page is under development. HA!!!! this same message I got with Mandrake 7 many a year past !!!!.
    I visited Mandriva's but no info on mandrake 10.1.

Any comments, anyone???

Jaime

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast