Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have posted about this before on linuxquestions.org and nobody has ever replied. I'm running a Gateway M275 tablet PC (details in signature) with Mandriva 2005. I have read some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

USB Ports

I have posted about this before on linuxquestions.org and nobody has ever replied. I'm running a Gateway M275 tablet PC (details in signature) with Mandriva 2005. I have read some reviews of slackware and other distros and apprently it is a linux-wide problem.(Linux hates laptops?) The only problem I am having seems to be with my USB ports. A lot of times transfer rates to and from my usb devices will either slow down to a crawl or stop, and this sometimes even causes data corruption when it comes to getting my photos off my digital camera. It's getting on my nerves having to unplug and replug my usb thumb drive 3 times to get it to pick up properly. I know that it is my USB ports however because my USB optical mouse lags horribly behind when I try to use it. Like I will move it, and my mouse will stay still, then suddenly jump to the other side of the screen. My USB printer seems to work fine, but it too is a little slow printing and likes to take times when it will stop working and I'll have to turn it off and back on to get it to work. This isn't the printer because the same printer works fine using the exact same distro on my desktop. I'm not very familiar with editing my system files yet but if anybody else has ever had this problem (or even if you haven't and still know how to fix it) and can give me detailed instructions on how I could go about fixing it I would really really appreciate it and love you forever, lol.

you can look in your kernel and see if you have both old usb and new usb support enabled.

cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig (as root)

look under device drivers >>> usb support >>> enable EHCI and OHCI and also printer support and anything else that you would use a USB port for.

Make sure you copy over kernel to /boot and you should be fine. If this stuff is already enabled then I don't know. I use a USB external dvd burner and it works like a charm with linux and mouse and printer and digital camera. I use USB for everything. Hope this helps.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Oh yeah what kernel are you using. Sorry I'm not familiar with Mandrake or whatever. But it should be something 2.6 if not upgrade or change distros.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does your laptop use USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? That might be your problem.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    you can look in your kernel and see if you have both old usb and new usb support enabled.

cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig (as root)

look under device drivers >>> usb support >>> enable EHCI and OHCI and also printer support and anything else that you would use a USB port for.

Make sure you copy over kernel to /boot and you should be fine. If this stuff is already enabled then I don't know. I use a USB external dvd burner and it works like a charm with linux and mouse and printer and digital camera. I use USB for everything. Hope this helps.
    When I direct it to /usr/src/linux I get a prompt that says it doesn't exist. I think the new kernel has the same problem because I read a review of Slackware 10.2 where a guy had the exact same problem.