Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've a Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E ethernet card and an Aethra EB1070 modem (usb/eth). I have problems to set up my adsl connection. I configured the ethernet card to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ADSL connection problem

Hi,
    I've a Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E ethernet card and an Aethra EB1070 modem (usb/eth). I have problems to set up my adsl connection.
    I configured the ethernet card to get the ip via DHCP and if i do # ifup eth0 it works (but sometimes it takes a long time, if i do # ifconfig eth0 i can see the ip 192.168.1.3). Then i've done # adsl-setup and configured it (user, pass, dns (server), connetion on demand (no), etc).
    When i do # adsl-start it connects (sometimes it takes a long time too, or it says timeout), with # ifconfig ppp0 I can see my public IP (also # adsl-status says connected) but the connection doesn't work.
    I can't ping anything, can't visit anything...
    After few seconds if i do # adsl-status it says that there is an adsl connection but ppp0 is down (or something like this, i don't remember now).

PS:
    The driver for my card is sk98lin, there are other drivers on my MB cd but they don't compile (it's a common problem, i was unable to find a solution but it seems that the sk98lin driver included with new kernel version works fine... so i don't know)

My modem has also an usb port, if a connect 2 PCs to the modem i can navigate with both (with different public IPs) and I can see one pc from the other (using Windows).

Help please.

This is quite tough because I think different people approach ADSL connections in different ways. I've only just got broadband and it took me a few days to sort out my issues.

I notice you have a usb modem. This isn't ideal as it uses CPU overhead to connect. I believe some usb modems are supported under GNU/Linux, but this might cause you some problems. Better to use a combined modem/router (refered to as an ADSL router). It's easier to work with.

The PPP protocol you have is significant. I have PPPoA which is very efficient. If you have PPPoE this isn't going to work quite as well.

Try pinging your IP address. Any good?

Try dhcpcd -n eth0

Use the route command to get some idea of your route table. Just type route.

Try ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.3 up

Ping your favourite website. Good luck, I know how hard it can be to get this working.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the answer

I had eth, ppp0 and ppp1 then I removed all of my interfaces (eth0 and ppp0) from the GUI (don't know how to remove ppp1 via shell, it's not displayed in GUI) but # ifconfig ppp0 shows that ppp0 still exist (now ppp1 does not exists).

I've recreated my connections (lan and adsl) via GUI (using static ip for LAN) and now I can connect... the connection lates few seconds then goes down.
    Now there are ppp0 and ppp1.

When i log in the connection goes up as ppp1 (the connection is set to not connect on startup or on demand) and it works for some secs (can surf the net), then after a while it goes down and brings up with another ppp interface (ppp0 but I also saw ppp2) sometimes it self-reconnects, sometimes I need to connect manually using the connection monitor and sometimes else i have to restart X.

When I talk of a connection up i mean the connection that i can see on the cable icon on the right of the taskbar.
    If i do # ifconfig I see that all pppX interfaces are UP or DOWN (at the same time) and when they are up each one has a different ip (public ip).

Seems like there are 2 connections and only one is displayed in the GUI, and they are disconnecting each other.
    I don't know how to remove the one i can't see.
    (This is only a guess...)

I can ping my modem and my IPs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, this was never going to be easy. At least you know your LAN is working because you can ping it (ping is very useful, and I've learned to think of it differently).

It's normal to see different IP addresses, because - in my case - one is assigned to my router, and another to my ethernet card.

I don't think there is a general answer to your connection problem because we have all had different experiences getting things to work. When I first read your post I thought, "I don't know how to do that!"

Then I remembered the following: some people are using router/modems, some are on cable, others on DSL, some modems have usb connections/ports, and there are different protocols supporting all of these. Sometimes it's a case of figuring out which protocols you need to configure ... Your ISP should give you some idea of these. Make a list of the ones you have/need and make sure they are all implemented somewhere.

I would read this (just the parts you need) and keep trying. In the end, everything you read about this will help you solve this problem.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks, i'll try

The IPs are the public ones.

My card has 192.168.1.3 then each pppX connection has a different ip like 80.181.127.X (that is the mask of my public ip)