Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a complete noob to linux, but am a pretty avid PC user. I tried to install Mandrake Linux 10.1 last night, and determined that it does not have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 and ATI X800 drivers...complete noob...

Hi, I'm a complete noob to linux, but am a pretty avid PC user. I tried to install Mandrake Linux 10.1 last night, and determined that it does not have native support for my ATI X800 Pro video card.

I've been to ATI's site, and the file I believe to be appropriate has some error that won't allow me to download the file. Also, there are several different files listed and I'm not sure which file is the one.

I've read on the forums and found enough info that I'm confident I could run the installation file if I could get it transferred, but I don't even know how to access my cdrom drive in order to transfer it to my hard drive nor do I know the command to copy it over.

If anyone could give me a brief run down on how this all works I would really appreciate it! If this is too much to ask, thank you very much for your time anyway!

Regards,
    Herbally

to tell you the least, getting ati drivers working with 3d takes something short of a miracle.

When you goto the ati drivers page, simply right-click on the correct driver and say "save as". Now once the driver is downloaded (to windows I assume from your post), simply launch linux, mount the windows drive and using Konqueror, navigate to the place where you saved the driver and using Cntrl+C copy it and paste it to your home directory.

now follow ati's directions on getting the card to work in 3d mode.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

update

AlexK, thanks a lot for the post.

I've done reading since my post and have figured out how to mount my cddrive(I didn't realize I could mount a windows drive), and I've been able to copy files over to the linux partition without issues.

My only problem now is getting the drivers.

The driver which I would assume is the correct one for me labeled "ATI Driver Installer" has some kind of problem. When I click the link it gives me the source code for the download script or something.

If I could find the darn drivers then I could get the ball rolling I think.

Just Joined!

also

I'd settle for simple old 2D GUI atm....

Quote Originally Posted by herbally
    The driver which I would assume is the correct one for me labeled "ATI Driver Installer" has some kind of problem. When I click the link it gives me the source code for the download script or something.
    what firefox or ie does when it sees a shell script file, it tries to display its contents. What you should do is right click on the file you want and select "save link as" or "save target as".

And yes, you can mount a windows ntfs drive in linux as read only at the moment. If you take a look in your /etc/fstab file, there should be an entry similar to:
    Code:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ....................
    the /mnt/windows part may be different, but if you type into a console:
    Code:
    mount /mnt/windows
    replacing /mnt/windows with the appropriate path, then you can access the windows partition in konqueror. It will be located at /mnt/windows.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.