Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed some updates on my mandriva 2006 and after installation I tried to open my home directory in kde by double clicing home-icon at the desktop. All it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Now this is a bit weird...

I just installed some updates on my mandriva 2006 and after installation I tried to open my home directory in kde by double clicing home-icon at the desktop. All it did was that amarok started and begun playing sound track of an video located in /home/my home/some/sub/directories/.... So I guessed that it might be linked somehow wrong, but when checking it I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then I made new link pointing to /home/my home and tried it. It did exactly the same (started amarok that begun playing something).

Any idea anyone ?

And by the way. If i use konqueror to navigate to my home/Desktop and try that link there it works fine.

You can allways try upgrading Amarok. And did you try the same in Gnome or other Shells ?

Quote Originally Posted by david_b.
    You can allways try upgrading Amarok. And did you try the same in Gnome or other Shells ?
    Nope no help in upgrading and no I haven't tried it anywhere else. I have only kde installed. Maybe I'll try it some time later (this isn't so serious that I couldn't live with it ). Thanks for the response.

Right-click on the icon and look at its properties in a text editor. This should show you if there are any unusual links in there, or if there are any commands to run amarok.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Right-click on the icon and look at its properties in a text editor. This should show you if there are any unusual links in there, or if there are any commands to run amarok.
    all I get is this:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Icon=home-mdk
    Type=Link
    URL=$HOME

Hmmm..... URL=$HOME means that it should just send you to your home directory. I noticed you said that you were double-clicking on the icon. Now it depends on how you originally setup KDE when you first booted into it, but what happens if you single-click on it?? Does it open it, or does it just highlight it as it would in windows??
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

It just highlights it.

Quote Originally Posted by djap
    It just highlights it.
    Then I'm stumped Sorry, but you'll need someone smarter than me to fix this.

Intriguing problem tho...

Ok. Thanks anyway. :P

Linux Newbie

Preferred Apps

Check your preferred applications to make sure that folders aren't associated with amarok. I use gnome and there is a special applet for that, can't remember if kde has one or not. Check all of the configurations in amarok too. Try making a link to some other random location that is not in your home directory (/usr or something) and then try opening it to see if it does the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast