Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello - I'd be grateful for some help with this: I decided to do a security update for my LE 2005 distro, but can't connect to any Mandriva mirrors for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Security updates - Can't connect to server

Hello - I'd be grateful for some help with this:

I decided to do a security update for my LE 2005 distro, but can't connect to any Mandriva mirrors for love nor money! I've read all the usual stuff, and at first I thought my firewall settings were to blame, so I made sure ftp access was enabled in my firewall.

I've used easy urpmi over and over, but I repeatedly get this error - apologies for the long post:

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Linux Format DVD 67 (cdrom1).cz]
    retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "updates"...
    ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/mandra...info/hdlist.cz
    ...retrieving failed: curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
    retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
    no hdlist file found for medium "updates"
    examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]
    problem reading synthesis file of medium "updates"
    found 0 headers in cache
    removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
    write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]
    unable to update medium "updates"

I must admit, I can't fix this no matter what I try. If I go into mcc and manually change things in the media manager, it still won't connect even though I have a user name and password on the Mandriva site. Any ideas? The whole thing seems broken to me.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I've tried reading the manual for urpmi, and I did manage to use it to install Totem as an experiment. Trying advice from old threads doesn't really work either ...

In one case I found that easy urpmi had given the wrong path through to the files I needed for an update - on a local ftp server. I found this out by accessing the server manually ... at first from the cli, then using Firefox.

It seems that my OS can't find synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz Not sure how much of an issue this really is ... For some reason urpmi is one of my blind spots with Mandriva. It's a rare case of ... arrgggghhhh!

I might try to sort this out, but on the other hand I was up late last night, and can I be bothered??
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

i don't know if its any help, but i get a similar error when i'm adding a tailor made cd to the media manager(if you go into mandrake control centre, this is the package that allows you to add different cd's and repositeries). however, it still seems to work ok, despite the error about 'hdlist might be corrupted' etc. i just ignore it because there isn't an hdlist.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by GNOME_n00b
    i don't know if its any help, but i get a similar error when i'm adding a tailor made cd to the media manager(if you go into mandrake control centre, this is the package that allows you to add different cd's and repositeries). however, it still seems to work ok, despite the error about 'hdlist might be corrupted' etc. i just ignore it because there isn't an hdlist.
    Thanks! Anything is helpful at the moment. I found a thread on another forum which might help me ... What I've decided to do is update to Mandriva 2006 (I can get it from a magazine or something) ... see if that fixes it, and if not, I'll try the stuff I mentioned earlier.

I just don't have the time to play around with it anymore.

I can get it from a magazine or something
    what.....you can? . linux format usually have mandriva, but 2006 hasn't been on there yet. isn't 2006 version due out at the end of the year or something? i think thats when linux format will probably issue it. i think 2006 is still in beta, but i could be wrong.

I can get it from a magazine or something
    what.....you can? . linux format usually have mandriva, but 2006 hasn't been on there yet. isn't 2006 version due out at the end of the year or something? i think thats when linux format will probably issue it. i think 2006 is still in beta, but i could be wrong.
    He he ... try this. I can't find any actual ISOs on the Mandriva Club zone ... Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or something? I was surprised when Linux Format issued Knoppix with their mag. Oh well

ok, thanks for that . i remembered seeing something on the mandriva website about 2006 version being released, but i seem to remember the word "beta" figured prominantly.

I was surprised when Linux Format issued Knoppix with their mag. Oh well
    cheer up . maybe LXF 74 may have mandiva 2006.

ok, thanks for that . i remembered seeing something on the mandriva website about 2006 version being released, but i seem to remember the word "beta" figured prominantly.

I was surprised when Linux Format issued Knoppix with their mag. Oh well
    cheer up . maybe LXF 74 may have mandiva 2006.
    This is what I was hoping ... I'm good at waiting.

and if not, perhaps LXF 75

and if not, perhaps LXF 75
    Not that good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast