Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally gave up on more obscure distros and installed Mandriva so that hopefully someone can give me some help. Also, after about 2 years of off and on attempts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modem Configuration

I finally gave up on more obscure distros and installed Mandriva so that hopefully someone can give me some help. Also, after about 2 years of off and on attempts to get online from Linux, I was told that I need to try an external serial modem, so I ordered one. I can't figure out how to set the blasted thing up - in Windows OR Linux.

I bought a BestData SmartOne 56SX. I bought it used, so I am assuming that the cable which came with it was the original, but I have no way of "proving" that. I also have no documentation. (Anyone have instructions for this model they would photocopy and mail to me? I can send an SASE.) The cable it came with I can't even figure out how to plug in. It's a standard serial plug on the modem end, and came plugged into the modem. The other end resembles a mouse cable, and I can't figure out what kind of slot it's supposed to plug into. It has 6(?) pins around the sides just like a mouse cable and then 2 pins, I think, in the middle. Anyway, I can't use that cable because I don't even recognize it.

I grabbed another serial cable we had in the house from a networking attempt and plugged it into the computer with that (which is a pain, because it required unplugging the printer), and neither Windows nor Mandriva is recognizing the hardware automatically. In Windows, I don't know where to find it in a hardware list - serial modems don't seem to be an option under "modems." In Mandriva, I don't even know where to start. Should I just be looking for a "query modem" option in KPPP? Am I going to have hardware conflicts if I'm swapping out my printer and modem constantly on that port? Can I get an adapter that will connect the modem to the 9-pin port I have available? I read somewhere else that some serial cables are designed for modems and others are designed for connecting one computer to another, that this second type has pins "crossed" and won't work with a modem. If this is true, how can I determine which type of cable I have here?

Do I need to install a driver for this? (I'm assuming I do.) If so, does anyone know what driver I should be looking for?

Please keep in mind that, as a result of having never been able to get online from a Linux distro (internet and email being my two main uses for a computer), I am a Linux newbie, and use plain English rather than tech-speak (or at least translate).

Thanks in advance!

Theory - the modem you bought is designed for a Mac.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    You're saying maybe that's why the cable is weird? (Speaking of weird, I like your sig. line ) The v.92 (newer) version is all over the web as Linux-compatible - on Linux sites, the sites of the companies selling the modem, etc. I don't think it's specifically a Mac modem. But I suppose it is possible that the *cable* is designed for a Mac; I don't even know for sure if it's the one that originally came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by A2JC4life
    You're saying maybe that's why the cable is weird? (Speaking of weird, I like your sig. line ) The v.92 (newer) version is all over the web as Linux-compatible - on Linux sites, the sites of the companies selling the modem, etc. I don't think it's specifically a Mac modem. But I suppose it is possible that the *cable* is designed for a Mac; I don't even know for sure if it's the one that originally came with it.
    Pleased you like my sig I think you might be right about the modem not being just for a Mac, but I was thinking about your post and it just struck me that the cable can't be for a normal PC. All you have is a power supply, a 'phone socket cable and a cable for the serial port. A round one is completely non-standard :o

So it looks like you need to shop around for a new cable ... It's just an idea
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso